Mama hen pecking chicks' feet!!!

nakedneckmom

Chirping
7 Years
May 28, 2012
Hello, I posted a couple weeks ago that two of my hens had gone broody and hatched 1 and 2 chicks respectively.

Well I came out this morning and the chicks were making a ton of noise, and I checked the water and food, and couldn't figure it out. But then i noticed the chicks' feet were swollen. So anyway, as I was standing there mama hen just started pecking their feet, like she thinks its a worm or something.

Very sad! It looked worse then it was, but still. So I moved the two chicks to join the other chick, and boosted the hens out and into the big pen. I can't handle any more drama/trauma!!

What does anyone think about this??? The chicks and hens seem a little upset but its been a couple hours and everyone seems fine, although the hens are having a hard time integrating back into the flock (2 of 7 birds). Thoughts on this? The rooster has been chasing them around whenever they go out.

SO I am at a loss. The rooster is in his time out pen until everyone calms down. The three chicks are together with food and water. But because they were broody raised, I don't really have heat lamps set up. Their wings are feather out and I live in Southern California, its quite warm. Just I set it up anyway?

hit.gif

I am so sad this isn't working out.

Back
Top Bottom