1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mama killed her own baby :(

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by flockgirl, Dec 16, 2012.

1. flockgirl

flockgirl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2012
    ohio
    So my broody has been on 14 eggs for 3 weeks and my first one hatched a few hrs ago and when I went in to check ont hem a little bit ago it was dead due to her pecking it's head! Why would she do that to a baby that seemed to be healthy and fine?

2. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Sorry for your loss. Where any other chickens with them???

1 person likes this.
  3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Are you sure that another chicken didn't peck the baby? I have had other chickens do that if the baby strays away from the mother. The first 3 days are very critical because the mother hen may be sitting on more eggs and the chicks can get away to danger. I have learned to lock them in a cage together for a few days until Mom is off the nest.

4. delisha

delisha Overrun With Chickens

Oct 13, 2012
    Racine, WI -
    My Coop
    Some due, but it is rare. It can happen with new mothers and inexperience, but, it is usually a chick that wanders off and gets pecked by another.

5. flockgirl

Apr 11, 2012
    ohio
    I am positive she did it. I brought her inside and put her and the eggs in my backroom and this one just hatched and feathered out and I found a hole it's poor little head[​IMG]There are no other chickens around her. I have never had this happen :(

6. delisha

delisha Overrun With Chickens

Oct 13, 2012
    Racine, WI -
    My Coop
    It does happen. Thank goodness not often.

7. flockgirl

Apr 11, 2012
    ohio
    Hopefully she doesnt do it to any others that hatch. Maybe this one wouldnt have made it and she knew it?? I know some animals do that when their young are sick but it is still so sad :(

8. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Sometimes hens know more then we do if their young is ill. There may have been something wrong with the chick, and she killed it because of that, or she could just not be a good mother.

Sorry :(

9. flockgirl

Apr 11, 2012
    ohio
    Yeah I believe that is what happened in this case. She seems too concerned about her eggs to be a bad mommy. Thanks for the support :)

10. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Does she have any more due to hatch?

If she does it again to any others, I would not let her hatch again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by