Mama killed her own baby :(

flockgirl

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 11, 2012
ohio
So my broody has been on 14 eggs for 3 weeks and my first one hatched a few hrs ago and when I went in to check ont hem a little bit ago it was dead due to her pecking it's head! Why would she do that to a baby that seemed to be healthy and fine?

Are you sure that another chicken didn't peck the baby? I have had other chickens do that if the baby strays away from the mother. The first 3 days are very critical because the mother hen may be sitting on more eggs and the chicks can get away to danger. I have learned to lock them in a cage together for a few days until Mom is off the nest.

I am positive she did it. I brought her inside and put her and the eggs in my backroom and this one just hatched and feathered out and I found a hole it's poor little head
bow.gif
There are no other chickens around her. I have never had this happen :(

Hopefully she doesnt do it to any others that hatch. Maybe this one wouldnt have made it and she knew it?? I know some animals do that when their young are sick but it is still so sad :(

Sometimes hens know more then we do if their young is ill. There may have been something wrong with the chick, and she killed it because of that, or she could just not be a good mother.

Sorry :(

Yeah I believe that is what happened in this case. She seems too concerned about her eggs to be a bad mommy. Thanks for the support :)

Back
Top Bottom