Mama took babies to sleep with the big girls...Should I worry???

AZ_HenHouse

Chirping
8 Years
Nov 2, 2011
I have a bantam cochin that hatched out some BR babies two weeks ago (15 days to be exact).
love.gif
She is an excellent mama but I think I have to confess I am a little concerned about her decision tonight to take the wee little ones to bed with the big girls.
hmm.png
The coop has an upstairs and a downstairs each with its own entrance. Mama and the babies have been downstairs on their own. She has had them out with the flock when they free range most of the day in the garden and all seems well. To be honest I am pretty sure all the girls are scared to death of mama since she is very protective.
idunno.gif
So I guess I am wondering if I trust my first time mama and let her stay upstairs with everyone else or do I go and move her and the wee ones downstairs for safety sake??

if they were mine, i'd leave them be and try not to worry much, especially as mama has proven herself a good protective mother. chickens don't really do much at night anyway. but i'd think that she did it for a reason, whether it be safety in numbers, or introducing them more to the main flock, or wanting a warmer sleeping place, or whatever.
smile.png
good luck with the little ones!

Awww...that is so sweet!! I know how nerve wracking it is the first night they do that. I'd just check on them before I go to bed and come out extra early in the morning. I don't think they move from their places during the night when it's dark...or do you have a light in there?

Nope no light. In fact she was quite upset that I was bothering her. But I was late getting home this evening and they had all gone to bed and I could not find her where she normally is.
hu.gif
That is when I checked upstairs and found her and the babies. So I guess I will just check on them a couple of times tonight and leave be unless something happens.

So here they are when they were out foraging yesterday. BTW mama hasn't read BYC and doesn't know all the things they are not suppose to eat. LOL
110764_bc_eating_tomotillos.jpg

110764_baby_chick_resting.jpg

and this is sparkles who wants to kow why I am taking pictures of the babies instead of getting her more treats!
110764_sparkles.jpg

She knows what she is doing. I allow my top silkie to rear all the chicks and after a few weeks of age she brings them into the main house. The first time she did this I about freaked! ...But she gave all the girls a look and everyone literally backed off! I have never had a problem!

Its funny how chickens behave sometimes. I have my littles in a grow out pen right now. They have been there for about a week now. Just yesterday and today when I go out to do the daily feed I find one of the youngsters OUT of the pen(it hopped on top of its coop and flew over the fence). It was foraging right next to the big girls and they just let it. I thought it was gonna get rolled bad, but nope.

Have to admit mama knew better than me.
They were fine and everyone seems happy. Babies ran all around with the big girls today and none of them even looked at them. Happy that everyone gets along
yippiechickie.gif

Thanks for all the reassurance.

Momma's a pretty smart chickie Huh! All the babies are adorable, but I gotta say sparkles is such a cutie too, I just love that look!
big_smile.png

Quote:
Yep she is an EE and such a spaz. Doesn't know how to walk, she runs all over the place. And of course has to be right in the middle of whatever is going on lol.

Back
Top Bottom