Man, these babies are brutal!!!

Eckielady

Songster
Feb 12, 2017
East Tennessee
Well, teenagers I guess. They're right around 8 weeks now. 14 of them in a huge growout coop/run and they're fighting like crazy. 5 go this weekend so it should settle down some but I have one bantam cochin that is relentlessly chasing an EE. This EE is easily twice her size (maybe more) and the Cochin will chase her round and round until the EE gets into a corner and keeps her head down. Is this normal or is my favorite, sweetest little Cochin and evil little chook?

Sorting out political issues is normal, but the cochin sounds like an evil little chook. A dust up is okay for sorting out the pecking order, but relentlessly chasing a bird away to the point where it can't eat or get any peace is not. They are still young, so for now, I'd say keep a close eye on it, make sure the beleaguered hen is getting food and is not being injured. If it doesn't sort itself out, one of them may have to go.

I find, that a hen at the bottom of the pecking order doesn't thrive well, but someone has to be at the bottom ... so long as they are being allowed food and some peace, they do okay ... often I find they'll start palling around with another hen or two near the bottom and start doing better, especially when out foraging and can have some time and space away from the bullies.

She's definitely getting food and water. Just once in awhile, maybe every few hours, the chase starts. Funny this is it started with a bunch of them chasing one of my other Cochins and I was worried about THAT one. Now he's been fine but this other one has targeted the EE. I'm keeping an eye on them for sure. Just wondering what in the heck happened.

She's definitely getting food and water. Just once in awhile, maybe every few hours, the chase starts. Funny this is it started with a bunch of them chasing one of my other Cochins and I was worried about THAT one. Now he's been fine but this other one has targeted the EE. I'm keeping an eye on them for sure. Just wondering what in the heck happened.
Okay, still sounds like normal politics. Keep watching, as long as everyone gets fed, has some peace, they will sort out the pecking order. After the five go this weekend, there will be more sorting out to be done.

Try giving that little tyrant a poke on the back with your finger when you see this going on. Hang around and watch. Do the poke each time it starts up. Sometimes at this early age, this sort of aversion therapy can alter bad behavior.

Back
Top Bottom