Managing Mixed Birds

KariR

Chirping
Nov 26, 2017
Central WA State
CFBC9AD0-24F4-4AD5-BE95-99A85A8E8C36.jpeg
B78C6CFE-621C-49C2-9258-2909621B6C82.jpeg
9977AC0A-1096-4112-B06C-E62565379118.jpeg
We have a big yard full of birds. We have 2 Geese, 2 Peacocks, tons of ducks and lots of chickens. I LOVE having lots of birds!! I have noticed some strange things this spring and am wondering how others manage multiple breeds of birds?

2 ducks have hatched a total of 23 ducklings in the past month. Our geese have almost instantly adopted the babies. They act like parents to the 2 groups of ducklings and round them up, sit with them and protect them as their own. They act almost like they want to steal them but still allow the mama ducks to hang out. It’s strange but adorable.

We also have a male/female Peacock pair about 1 year old.One of our peacocks (the male) has attacked chicks twice now!! We have lost several to him and that just makes me sad :( They are beautiful but this kinda sucks! Is this anything other peacock owners experience? Is it just us?

I’m sorry I’m not really sure what you can do beside possible separate him or the ducklings as they are probably a threat to the peacock or you could hang on until the ducklings are older and can defend themselves! I’m surprised the geese or ducks haven’t defended the ducklings more ? Sort for your loss good luck x

The ducklings are fine. It’s only the chicks the peacocks go after. The Geese and ducks stick close to the ducklings and no peacocks have even gone after a duckling. They seem to be only going after the chicks. I have mamas on some eggs which we will enclose when they hatch.

Back
Top Bottom