managing multiple rooster and freeranging

pysankigirl

Songster
8 Years
May 2, 2012
Virginia
I really like freeranging my chickens. But I am also thinking about trying to do some controlled breeding and having multiple roosters. But I don’t want different runs…the expense and the look. And I’d like it if the roosters had a good bit of room also to freerange. I was thinking about making a largish bachelor pen and just putting one rooster out freeranging with all the chickens at a time and switching them out occasionally.

I envision switching a rooster out, waiting for a month to make sure the eggs are not getting fertilized by leftover swimmers, then putting him and his chosen girls into a "love shack" for a week or so to collect eggs, then switching to the next rooster. The goal of which is to have the most chickens freeranging as possible at any given time.

But I am inexperienced and need to hash out a few things… how much would this switching out of chickens affect the pecking order. Everything is peaceful now…would I be creating a bloodbath? Would the bachelors get along without the hens in with them, or would they try to kill the “new guy”?

Those are great questions! I've been considering a similar set-up and would love to hear what others have to say. I've had hens separated for up to a week and been able to put them back problems. Roosters might be different, though. I wonder if having the "love shack" in view of the other chickens, so they all still see one another, would make it easier to put them back?

Back
Top Bottom