Managing my Bantam flock

Chicks in VA

Bantams are the best👍😁
Mar 27, 2021
take a guess
So , I have 6 bantams 1 white silkie , 1 mille fluer duccle, 1 blue Cochin , 2 buff brahmas, and I think a bb red oegb.
I have a 8x3 run and a 3x3 coop and plan on adding 16x16 to the run.
Wondering how many bantams should go / fit in a 3 x3 coop
Also how many more can I put in the run , I plan on upgrading the coop size.

I think you are maxed out on your numbers/coop size. I think your current run is also crowded. When you do add to run, things will be better.
I am a realist, so here is my opinion.
When you crowd too many chickens into a confined space. that is when all sort of problems arise. Something best avoided.
Bantam chickens; you can get away with less than the 4 squire foot guideline. but observe your flock, and make your own decision base on your comfort level.
Your new run should theoretically accommodate 28 chickens. Maybe more if only bantams. But again, crowding has its disadvantages.
You have no location in your profile,,,,,, so I can guess, anywhere from Alaska, to Sahara desert.
What I am getting at. If you are in a warm zone,, you can have chickens roost inside a covered run area. (secured of course) overnight.
If you are in a somewhat cold area,, you must take into consideration, that during bad weather,, your chickens may be confined to coop,,, for extended time.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:

I think you are maxed out on your numbers/coop size. I think your current run is also crowded. When you do add to run, things will be better.
I am a realist, so here is my opinion.
When you crowd too many chickens into a confined space. that is when all sort of problems arise. Something best avoided.
Bantam chickens; you can get away with less than the 4 squire foot guideline. but observe your flock, and make your own decision base on your comfort level.
Your new run should theoretically accommodate 28 chickens. Maybe more if only bantams. But again, crowding has its disadvantages.
You have no location in your profile,,,,,, so I can guess, anywhere from Alaska, to Sahara desert.
What I am getting at. If you are in a warm zone,, you can have chickens roost inside a covered run area. (secured of course) overnight.
If you are in a somewhat cold area,, you must take into consideration, that during bad weather,, your chickens may be confined to coop,,, for extended time.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:
Okay thanks for all this!
I want a Batman flock of 15-16 but like you said I'm maxed out on coop space, so I will make a bigger coop when I decide to get more bantams !

We have bantams and standard birds together most of the time, and allow AT LEAST 4 square feet for each bird, and generally have more space than that minimum. And our coop/ roofed run combination has separate areas that are out of sight of each other, with separate feeders and waterers , so birds can have some privacy as needed.
Right now, 33 birds in 14' x 24' area, about 330 sq. ft.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom