Mandarin duck sitting on eggs!

luvmydux

Songster
9 Years
Jan 2, 2011
So for the first time ever, I have a female mandarin duck sitting on eggs! I am oober excited! However, it seems that she doesn't have a mate:( Will these ducks sit on infertile eggs? Or will she give up if there is nothing in them? She has been sitting for over a week so I am hopeful. I do know that my broody hens are really good at getting rid of "bad" eggs, so I don't know if ducks are the same?? I have 2 females and 5 males total, one female is definately bonded to a male, but not sure about the one sitting. The bonded female goes in the nest too (esp. at night) and there seems to be a lot of eggs! Could they be sharing a nest? What do I do?? So excited for mandarin babies!!!!

Hmm. I normally incubate my own eggs but my current broody hen has nudged out all the dead and infertile eggs! She had like 20 eggs though so maybe she just realized she couldn't keep them all warm! Dunno

Can you take a few out when she's not sitting on them and go somewhere dark to candle them? I've done that in the past. Yes, they could be nest sharing I think. And she may be mating too...you just may not see it ever. I Never see mine mating but I had 2 females hatch a bunch of eggs last year, and I've got 1 female on 16 or so eggs now...end of 3rd week tomorrow. I'll finish them in my incubator, probably bring them in on Friday or Saturday....if I can wait til then. Good Luck and keep us posted!
Lisa

If you have more than 16 eggs in the box there is more than one hen using it. That is the most I ever had lay from one hen. I have a hen that is setting on 14 (I know all hers because I have only one regular hen and the other white hen is in another box) if your pen is very secure and you dont have other ducks or birds that might kill them you can leave em in there.They will stay with the mom unless you run em around alot. But if you try to run em and collect the babies once they are on the ground rest assured they can go thru 1 inch chicken wire like it aint even there. Have at least a coupla people around cause they will scatter like a shotgun. And they are extremely fast compared to a domestic duck. Thats why like chickenlisa said most of us incubate that last week. As for getting rid of bad eggs I have had some that do and some that dont. Most dont btw. If she is out of the box you can quickly candle after a week and tell the fertile ones and put them back in her nest if you have more than 16 eggs. Thats the max eggs I feel a manderin can hatch at one time. Good luck! PS I garantee if you have 5 males and 2 hens those eggs are fertile,bonded or not. LOL!

That's funny Lisa, I have been planning to do so but everytime I go out there, there is someone in the box!!! I have been keeping my fingers crossed I'd catch her off it but no such luck! I'll keep ya posted!

Thanks Destin Duck! That makes me feel good. I will try like hell to candle them as soon as possible. I am scared to take away and incubate....aren't they extremely delicate and hard to incubate? That is what I have heard. I don't think there is more than 16 eggs! I wish though! I know for sure there is 8 but maybe more. I can't wait!!! How long do they take?

just a quickie for now, gotta run to work, but they take 4 weeks 27-28 days I find. I'd open the nest box and in doing so, if she flies out oh well. I'd still candle a couple to make sure. Like Destinduck said, I'm willing to bet they are fertile with all those males.
wink.png
Incubating the last week is not so fussy or iffy- the female duck has done th hard work and got them all started, we just have to put them in a very humid bator and not mess with it. I like to put them in when they look pretty much black or dark inside, almost ready to go. Good luck!
Lisa

No Wayyyy! I wonder what's going on...I just went out and grabbed about 8 of the eggs in my hen's nestbox. she was in the pool so I did it without bothering her at all. Half of them were infertile and I know with 4 males (or 3 males and 1 quirky mutant female/male) some were going to be fertile. I didn't take them all to check because half of those 8 were dark inside... getting close too. So when I take them all on Friday, I'll candle them all before putting into the incubator. I think what happened is maybe that quirky duck is a female who can lay eggs but they are infertile. The good normal female and her probably laid in the same box. that's the only thing I can think of...She's been setting tight and faithfully so I know they are 3 weeks into incubation.
I don't want to hijack your thread though, so I'll try to find the other one and ask there...I'm sorry all 10 of your eggs were clear. What a bummer!
Lisa
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom