Mandarin Ducks

DuckyBoys I am not going to knock your birds they really are quite nice and once molted and in prime condition they will look much better. Just what would you be willing to sell them for?

Here we go -

Quote:
1. Ok, in reponse to the publications comment - I just checked the latest APWS Magazine, the highest price I could find for Mandarins was $65. I can't find my latest Gazette, but I will post once I do. None in the latest AFA Watchbird or ASA Bulletin, but will keep you posted as well. The Poultry Press, still subscribe and I will check as well. I will also go over the other newsletters I belong to as well if you so wish. There are others, shall I continue....

2. You are mistaken. The Mandarin is a wild species - Aix galericulata, no domestic breeds from this bird - yet.

3. I am very confused on your point 3. I am surprised when I see domestic birds sell for more than wild species as well. I saw some chickens sell for $55 each while an endangered Swinhoe Pheasant sell for $25. Go figure, demand I guess. Having worked with Mandarins and wild species of waterfowl for over 20 years, I will admit that I'm pretty knowledgeable to their going rate and not blowing this out of my back-end. If someone can get someone else to pay more than $200 for a Mandarin, WOW, I wish that person was me selling that bird.

There is no doubt, Giff posted a great photo and has some very nice birds - http://www.giffsfarm.com/mandarins.html - but for some reason, you are in a fantasy world with these prices or someone has taken you for a ride.

Feel free to contact me off forum if you feel the need to discuss this further.

Dan

Last edited:
Quote:
That would be $400.00 for a pair of Mandrins!!!!!!!!!!! I know where you can get all you want for that kind of money. From people that was'nt even wanting to sell theirs!

Anywhere from $50.00 to $65.00, $70.00 tops is usually the going price for good Mandrin pairs

Quote:
They aren't for sale.
hu.gif
I have them because I love watching them in the aviary and in the pool. I have no high aspirations for them as far as showing or breeding, they are just my personal pets for my personal enjoyment.

We have Mandarins also, and paid no where near 200 each for them. We have a pair of whites and three pairs of normal along with 1 pair of Apricot Wood ducks. In FL we have to have a permit for the wood ducks just to have them.

White Mandies shortly after they arrived here last fall, along with a normal Drake that arrived with them.
443aca8f.jpg

c77fd72a.jpg

64e720c2.jpg

41d4d517.jpg

Sound advice given already about flight pens needed, and pricing. Don't buy them thinking you will hold and or even pet them. It won't happen, you have them just to sit outside of their large netted completely enclosed aviary to visually enjoy them.

This may be way off topic.....but where do you find Swinhoe pheasants for anything lower that $150? this is a truly honest question....I have a very lonely male that is longing for a girlfriend.

Back
Top Bottom