MangTheRooster

Chirping
Dec 5, 2018
Monroe New York
Igot my Mang in May and hes been fine so far. But recently I've noticed that he's been sleeping a lot. During the day I try to get him more active and it works a little but then he stops and just stands and falls asleep. I'm starting to get worried. He does eat in the morning but during the day he rarely eats.I think his poop looks fine for the most part. Some of them are clear though. His mouth smells fine, I also check for sores and he doesn't have sores in his beak or feet and he doesnt seem to have anything under his wings, or around his neck. He had a coop for a while but it fell apart so he stays inside for now. It is winter here and it's getting pretty cold.

Please help me

Attachments

• 2018-07-09 03.51.29 1.jpg
    2018-07-09 03.51.29 1.jpg
    289.1 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Greetings MangTheRooster,

Welcome to BYC! :frow

Can you give more information and details about Mang?

• How old is he?
  • Does he live outside? If so does he have shelter in a coop?
  • What type of chicken feed does he eat? What's in it?
  • Is he eating and drinking normally?
  • What do his poops look like?
  • Can you upload a photo of his poop and of Mang?
  • Is it hot or cold where you live?
  • Open his mouth, and check it for a foul odor. Does it smell bad?
  • While looking in his mouth, do you see any growths or sores?
  • Check under his feet for sores, scabs, injury.
  • Check under his wings, and around the neck for cuts.
  • Check his vent for poop that may be clogging up the opening.

With more details, the members may be able to help you figure out what is making your rooster sick. If he is sleeping a lot, this is a sign of illness. Roosters are normally very active throughout the day. A little nap here and there is not unusual, but if they are closing their eyes often, that is not good, especially if it is a young rooster. There may be other symptoms, once you have completed examining him.

These are my thoughts on your rooster's issue. I hope I have been helpful.

God Bless :)

Well MangTheRooster,

Your rooster could be having several things that are causing him not to feel his best.

Diet:
He could be lacking in vitamins and minerals, especially if he eats a lot of corn and rice. He should be eating some 18% protein grower feed, or a higher protein feed. Otherwise, you'll have to balance his meals. Make sure he eats enough protein, vegetables, fruit, and carbohydrates, like the corn and rice. A vitamin supplement like Nutri Drench for poultry, would be good for him. A rooster that is out running around all day has to eat every one to two hours. They burn a lot of energy. But, your rooster lives inside your house, is that right?

Environment:
Environment is another thing that affects the health of chickens. They need sunshine and exercise, and the company of other chickens. They will get depressed if they do not have a natural environment. As a result they have a low appetite. Without proper nutrients their immune system can weaken. They can get sick easily.

It doesn't sound like he has any serious problems with his general health, according to your answers.

However, a clear poop (urine), is another indicator of a digestive problem. This could be due to his diet of corn and rice, infection, or his crop not emptying properly.

First thing in the morning, feel his crop. It should be flat, empty. If it has food in it, that is not good. Let us know if his crop doesn't empty over night.

Try feeding your rooster some scrambled egg, a table spoon of diced, cooked meat, some salmon or some other protein. This may perk him up. Also, feed him some fresh greens like kale, mustard or turnip tops, etc. Some thinly slice fresh apple or grape is good for him too.

You should also take a sample of his poop to a vet. Have them run a fecal float test. This will show if he has any internal parasites, like worms. A fecal float test runs from $10 - $20.

Let us know if any new symptoms show up.

Very good questions and info from above. Also you could look at nutridrentch. To help is it’s stressed. Or sick. I keep it stocked in the barn. Add one dropper a day in the mouth. He’ll get more active but he’ll feel better with the added nutrients if he is stressed or sick.

Well MangTheRooster,

Your rooster could be having several things that are causing him not to feel his best.

Diet:
He could be lacking in vitamins and minerals, especially if he eats a lot of corn and rice. He should be eating some 18% protein grower feed, or a higher protein feed. Otherwise, you'll have to balance his meals. Make sure he eats enough protein, vegetables, fruit, and carbohydrates, like the corn and rice. A vitamin supplement like Nutri Drench for poultry, would be good for him. A rooster that is out running around all day has to eat every one to two hours. They burn a lot of energy. But, your rooster lives inside your house, is that right?

Environment:
Environment is another thing that affects the health of chickens. They need sunshine and exercise, and the company of other chickens. They will get depressed if they do not have a natural environment. As a result they have a low appetite. Without proper nutrients their immune system can weaken. They can get sick easily.

It doesn't sound like he has any serious problems with his general health, according to your answers.

However, a clear poop (urine), is another indicator of a digestive problem. This could be due to his diet of corn and rice, infection, or his crop not emptying properly.

First thing in the morning, feel his crop. It should be flat, empty. If it has food in it, that is not good. Let us know if his crop doesn't empty over night.

Try feeding your rooster some scrambled egg, a table spoon of diced, cooked meat, some salmon or some other protein. This may perk him up. Also, feed him some fresh greens like kale, mustard or turnip tops, etc. Some thinly slice fresh apple or grape is good for him too.

You should also take a sample of his poop to a vet. Have them run a fecal float test. This will show if he has any internal parasites, like worms. A fecal float test runs from $10 - $20.

Let us know if any new symptoms show up.

Also, one more thing...grit! Remember, a chicken doesn't have teeth. They need to eat little pebbles/rocks/grit. These little rocks grind up the food in the chicken's gizzard. They need access to grit at least once every one to two weeks, especially if they are eating whole, uncooked corn and rice, etc. :D

Back
Top Bottom