Mangy Red Fox 1 Chicken Keeper 1 kill *GRAPHIC PICS!* inside

Chikndinner

Chirping
9 Years
Sep 9, 2010
Since I first got chickens 1.5 years ago i knew it would only be a matter of time before something happened to one of them. I live in the suburbs of my town and HAD 6 hens.

This morning after taking the kids to school I let the chickens out to roam, @ 8 am all was well. 30 minutes later I went out to take them some leftovers. I walked into the chicken yard and five of them ran up to me. I started looking around for the last one.

In the corner of the yard I had to do a double take because there was a fox chewing on a chicken. I saw him, he saw me and he kept eating. I just about ran over to him but thought up a better plan.

I calmly left him there and went to the garage. I loaded up the pellet gun and returned to the yard. This time I snuck around the deck and drew a bead on the fox. Hard to get a good shot cause he was facing away from me with his head down eating. I finally was able to get a shot off and i hit him. He ran away...ran around the garden and sat there. I let another shot go. I heard a thwack, I must have him him in the forehead. Wounded but still alive he ran around the garage. I ran around the garage the other way to cut hi off but did not see him.

After looking around for a minute I went back to the chicken yard. Sure enough there he was dragging the chicken away again. He had doubled back and out foxed me!!

Took my time and scored a finishing shot on him in the noggin.....Dead fox!

This was the mangiest poorest condition dog I have ever seen. Mangey fur with scabs all over him. He stunk to high heaven and had a couple of open abcesses on his haunches. skin and bones and teeth is all he was. I think I did him a favor as he was sure to not survive much longer. Hence his desperation in refusing to abandon his kill.

He could have asked and I would have helped him out without killing one of my chooks. Needless to say the flock is all tighly locked up with no free ranging for now.

DSC01152.jpg

DSC01151.jpg

DSC01153.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
You did the best thing for all involved, you, the chickens, the other animals in the area, the fox itself, but I still feel sorry for the poor fox. I can't blame you for killing it (I would have, too) but I can't blame it for being hungry, either. Since we can't teach them to come to us for help, I guess we have to protect our flocks from them, and in this case, do the poor thing a favor. You probably don't have to worry too much about more foxes. That one probably came in close to people because it was starving. I'm glad you were able to put it out of it's misery. I hate that it got into such bad condition, but it can't survive by eating chickens!

I would have shot him also ,in a heartbeat. I to can not help but feel sorry for the poor thing though.Looks like he has mange and he would not of lived much longer since wildlife can not get rid of it on their own and it had already had bad affects on him.He had to suffering ,glad you ended it for him
Sorry about your chicken
sad.png
.Darn oppossum got one of mine last week and I got the opposum

Not sure where you are, but they say foxes around here are rabid enough to be cautious--especially if they aren't afraid. It can be transfered via saliva.

On the other hand, I've seen nearly tame wild foxes that were a perfect picture of health.

I lost five hens this summer to a family of foxes--they were living in a neighbor's garden.

Back
Top Bottom