Manitoba Members

I have never tried to break a hen. My advice would be to get more chickens and give the broody eggs to hatch. My husband thinks I have a chicken addiction. Maybe he is correct.

Yes, as Blkjak said. That is what I did all summer.

Blkjak...you might as well face the facts. I have seen your collection. Yes, you have an addiction. Hey, but you are in good company. ;)

Last edited:
Well my barn is already over filled with chicks hatched out my broodies this spring, so no more chicks for me! I have a small cage that I put them in over night, it's outside the barn so they can cool their jets
1f609.png
This works
But I need eggs! Not chicks, I am going to try leaving the lights on for night maybe that will stop them from starting to go broody.

Yes, as Blkjak said. That is what I did all summer.

Blkjak...you might as well face the facts. I have seen your collection. Yes, you have an addiction. Hey, but you are in good company. ;)

Just last week I added 6 cuckoo marans. Really nice birds.
Still hatching a few. Only about 30 eggs left to hatch for the year.
I did lose alot of birds to the fox and the coyote. And I have a few to go to the freezer this fall but I seem to have a few more than I really need.

Is anyone raising chickens near Hartney? We rented a house in town, and are looking for some place close by to keep about 15 hens, 2 or 3 roosters,
and a couple of ducks.
I can maybe come help with chores a couple of times a week or something in exchange.
We have Brahmas, Black Australorps, and Pekin Ducks.

Last edited:
Hello everywhere from Kenora, Ontario. Very close to the Manitoba, Ontario border. I am looking to start up a backyard coop. Wondering if anyone knows of someone in Steinbach who sells laying hens? Looking specifically at ISA brown, barred Plymouth Rock and Rhode Island Red. Would prefer if they are around 5 months to a year old. Anyone have any suggestions??
Appreciate your time!

I came home from work last night, 7:30, to a Great Horned Owl inside my coop. Birds were all on the floor and all worked up. It took me a few seconds to figure out what was up. I would never have thought an owl would come thru a 30 inch pop door. It took an open door, step ladder, fishing net, 15 minutes and some perseverance to get it to fly out. Only lost an old leghorn hen to trampling. As soon as it was gone everyone relaxed, ate and went to roost. Crazy adventures!

Back
Top Bottom