Many questions about dirt floor coop and Deep litter/pests

Well its quite simple, I use the Pine shavings from Tractor Supply for the deep method, in my 4'x8' coop. I have a 8'x8' enclosed run, that's dirt, which has an opening to a 12'x25' open run, and its all dirt. No need to deep liter or use pine shavings for your run, but what I do is throw some Coastal hay into my enclosed run, especially after a hard rain, which usually hits us, in the Texas Hill country, before it hits yall. It just allows them to have some place that's not real muddy to walk or sit in.

I to am also not a fan of the “DeepLitter” method. I understand that it’s easier and cheaper to clean it out once or twice a year but it seems lazy to me and it seems that all the chickens will be doing is digging around in their own poop. I can’t see how it’s beneficial to them.
I’ll probably just continue to take out all the hay, clean the earth s bit and sprinkle “DE” and a coop deodorant then replace the hay every 5days or so.
The poop composts down and along with the other litter materials creates a rich and stable soil under the run. That's beneficial to the keeper (especially if they garden) and everything that lives in and around that soil.

If done properly odor and dampness stays controlled without need to add anything extra other than the usual litter materials. I can crouch down in my run and smell nothing.

If you've tried it and had poor results, there could be other factors at play (drainage issues, wrong mix of materials) but if you're satisfied with your current set up, then continue to do what works for you.

it seems that all the chickens will be doing is digging around in their own poop. I can’t see how it’s beneficial to them.

I won't try to change your practices -- I included "distaste for the idea of manure accumulating" as one of the cons in my article and consider it a legitimate point of view. But I did want to point out that since Deep Bedding dries the manure out rapidly so that there can be no bacterial action and that Deep Litter neutralizes the manure by composting it the chickens aren't actually walking around in sewage. :)

Lazy I'll agree to. I have enough things that I have to do and enough things that I want to do that I set up systems to minimize the have-to's so that I can accomplish the want-to's. :)

No need to deep liter or use pine shavings for your run,

That depends on soil, climate, and local ecology (the other day I was coming back from the coop with eggs and got photos of a dung beetle busily rolling away a ball of chicken manure). Also the chickens per square foot density. :)

Some people manage just fine without litter in the run. Others have a smelly wasteland without litter.

My ladies seem to like having litter. When I dump a fresh pile of pine straw or lawn clippings they go nuts digging in it. :)

Hello again. I'm new to chickens and this site has been a Godsend for me!!
We want to convert an old shed into a coop. It has 55 square feet of floor space and is nearly 7 feet tall inside. It is a metal shed on dirt floor. I currently have 4 2-month old chicks and 7 chicks in a brooder (because chicken math). I plan to deep litter in the coop, but I think also doing deep litter in the run might be a bit much for me (and my back during cleaning).

Is it possible to do deep litter in coop and not run? What do I put in the run when the grass is gone?

I know that I need to put hardware cloth around my coop and run. I do NOT want to put it on the floor of my coop. I'm not sure if a "skirt" of hardware cloth means to bury some or leave a few inches around the outside. (Pictures would be helpful)

The main predators in my area are roaming dogs and hawks. However, EVERYTHING likes chickens, so I want to make sure my birds are protected from anything they may attract.

Thanks in advance.
I think it depends where you live too. If you're in a cooler climate the deep litter method can help keep the coop warmer in the winter. If in a warmer climate then you may not need litter. I'm in northern Vermont. I use deep litter shavings and straw inside my coop. This will be their first winter here. But we've had some cold weather (hard frosts) for two nights (a third night tonight) and the chickens and turkeys are doing great with no supplemental heat. I am looking into solar heating for harsh winter nights but otherwise do not plan to use heat. My homemade coop is not yet but will be insulated and is vented. In the run I am using a thick layer of sand. I love it. It's easy to rake clean and I do that maybe once a week. The fowl pretty much keep it clean with all their scratching around and rain or the hose washes the rest right through the sand. The further back part of my run I planted with left over seeds of all sorts, white clover and corn. Once the corn is tall enough I'll let the fowl in and they can eat what they want and the corn will help shelter them during the hot summers. And they will pasture on nice days in the field close by using portable fencing. This is all attached to the back of my garden and surrounded by solar electric fencing. My first coop. My first chicks and turkeys.

Attachments

• 20210528_090419_HDR.jpg
    20210528_090419_HDR.jpg
    600 KB · Views: 16
  • 20210528_090428_HDR.jpg
    20210528_090428_HDR.jpg
    925.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 20210528_090358_HDR.jpg
    20210528_090358_HDR.jpg
    739.6 KB · Views: 15
I definitely would consider using something else other than chicken wire for the sides of your runs. For one thing, it eventually rusts, especially where it contacts the ground. And even a medium-sized dog can tear it. It's OK to use inside, say to separate new chicks from older birds, but not out, at least not as your only protection. I know hardware cloth is recommended, but it is more expensive and very hard to work with. I found turkey wire to be a good compromise. It's easier to work with than hardware cloth and it is durable and won't rust. My present run is made of it. I also put a layer of chicken wire over the sides to make the holes smaller to keep out songbirds and keep very little chicks in. I also made the top out of turkey wire, the slightly wider mesh lets leaves and other junk fall through.

^^^ very consistent with my experience. I'd use wood chips if I had them - but I don't, so I make due with the leaf litter as its free. We are using the same method, with differing materials.

The key to both is cold composting. LOTS of "brown". As opposed to hot composting with fresh grass clippings and the like, where the Green/Brown ration is closer to 50/50.

Which isn't to say green can't be thrown into the run with the Brown, just that you want to keep the green a small fraction of the brown.
I have a buddy with a tree service and he just dropped off 11 yards of free wood chips - if he only coulda put it in the run!!!

Not really.
In order for litter to compost 'hot' and create heat it needs moisture, which is not good for a coop....not to mention that hot compost needs frequent intervention.
The manure itself is moist for a little while. You don't clean it out through the winter. You don't need to intervene other than throw some chicken scratch in. Then the fowl will scratch and turn the shavings and manure helping with decomp. I will also be adding straw to help maintain warmth.

Back
Top Bottom