Many roosters together

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by L&Schickens, Dec 2, 2008.

1. L&Schickens

L&Schickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    I have been asked a few times how I keep so many roos together. Well, the mane secret it to house them in LARGE cages and let them out often. I also house older roos with younger ones to prevent fighting.
    So, can you count the roos? Some of the pictures show 4 but I have as many as 6 or 7 out at a time sometimes.
    (feeding them left over pie helps too [​IMG] )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I did not let the Barred Rocks out or the EE's, or the Japanese Bantams, but pretty much everyone else was out today. [​IMG]

2. snowydiamonds

snowydiamonds Chillin' With My Peeps

I see Strawberry and his ladies:) New Mama waving to them:lol:

3. L&Schickens

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    They are so cute! They love pie too, but got pushed out by the bigger hens. [​IMG]

4. snowydiamonds

snowydiamonds Chillin' With My Peeps

I really, really shouldn't ask this...but...
    What are those GORGEOUS white birds that look like mirror images of each other in the 1st pic?[​IMG]

I gather a lot of Blue, Black, Salmon and Cranberries each fall for all kinds of cooking and baking so they won't miss having pie, should have rhubarb next summer or fall, too. Apple and cherry pie, also...and I'm keeping them segregated so they won't have to worry about size or elbow room until I can get some of their fertilized eggs hatched out someday in the future years:)

Last edited: Dec 2, 2008
  5. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

L&Schickens :

(feeding them left over pie helps too [​IMG] )
    I

One Question L&Schickens?
    What is left over pie? And how does it help them? [​IMG]

6. L&Schickens

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    The white ones are white Giants. They are almost 6 months old.

The pie is leftover apple from thanksgiving. Nothing special, just keeps them ocuPIED [​IMG]

7. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    Gorgeous birds in a beautiful setting. You're right, the secret to having multiple roos is to give them plenty of space. I have 14 roos (and 35 females) that all free range and stay in same coop at night without fighting.

8. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Colors of the rainbow! Your very lucky to have that many chickeys lol

9. Buster

Buster Back to Work

I've now managed to integrate 4 roos together that were previously separated. I have 3 more to go (and I'm sure I can pull it off successfully) but I don't know if DW will allow Diesel to be integrated- she's too paranoid something bad will happen to him.

10. sarahloveschickens

sarahloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    do ur roos fight?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by