Maran chickens dying in a day

Sorry for the late response, so the remaining chicken is doing fine except her right eye is still blurry, i used eye ointment and gave her some vitamins supplements but no improvement, she stopped laying since the death of the rooster, it’s either because i moved her to another coop or because of eye issue maybe?

I would also look at coccidiosis as a possibility. That can cause weakness, lethargy, runny poops—sometimes with blood, and not eating or drinking. The treatment is with amprollium (Coxoid, Amprol) or with sulfa antibiotics (sulfadimethoxine, sulfamethazine, others.)
If its coccidia shouldn’t the other chickens get it too?

By the way, their chicks are doing fine until last week, they were 14 chicks between a week old to 5 weeks old, last week I found one dead in the brooder with no sings of disease before, the rest were fine until today I noticed one is looking off, I waited to see his droppings but he wouldn’t pass any, i moved the other chicks to another brooder and changed their feed and waterer just in case. Does marans chicks needs any different care than any other chicks? I raised their parents from eggs just like i do with my other chicks with no problems.

By the way, their chicks are doing fine until last week, they were 14 chicks between a week old to 5 weeks old, last week I found one dead in the brooder with no sings of disease before, the rest were fine until today I noticed one is looking off, I waited to see his droppings but he wouldn’t pass any, i moved the other chicks to another brooder and changed their feed and waterer just in case. Does marans chicks needs any different care than any other chicks? I raised their parents from eggs just like i do with my other chicks with no problems.
I'm sorry for your loss.
Can you post some photos of the chicks and their poop?

Chicks are chicks, they should not really need anything "special" besides fresh chick feed and water.

Are you keeping 1week old chicks with 5 week old chicks? Are you providing a heat source? Week old chicks would require more heat than older chicks - is it possible you have some that are too hot/cold?

I will get images when i wake up tomorrow, they are in two brooders, first brooder chicks are between 3-5 weeks old, second brooder for chicks under 2 weeks. Each brooder has a heat lamp and a space to get away from the heat lamp, room temperature is around 28 C. I raise Phoenix chicks in the same room and they are all doing fine.

Last edited:
The only thing i have done is I turned the heater off in the room cause the weather started getting warmer and chicks were gasping for air because of the heat, i still open the heater again if I noticed the room is getting colder but it never went under 26 C.

I will get images when i wake up tomorrow, they are in two brooders, first brooder chicks are between 3-5 weeks old, second brooder for chicks under 2 weeks. Each brooder has a heat lamp and a space to get away from the heat lamp, room temperature is around 28 C. I raise Phoenix chicks in the same room and they are all doing fine.
The only thing i have done is I turned the heater off in the room cause the weather started getting warmer and chicks were gasping for air because of the heat, i still open the heater again if I noticed the room is getting colder but it never went under 26 C.
Yes, please. Photos may be helpful.

You mention they were gasping for air because of heat - were they panting or in respiratory distress? How much ventilation is in your brooder room - does it get fresh air?

Ahh I forgot to get images before leaving for work! I will get them when i get home, no they don’t have any symptoms of respiratory infections i think it was from the heat only once I turned off the heater no more gasping. In winter(now) they don’t get much fresh air like summer cause I’m opening the AC, but the room is still not fully closed the air could get in from many spots. The sick chick was still alive today but he is still sick.

Ahh I forgot to get images before leaving for work! I will get them when i get home, no they don’t have any symptoms of respiratory infections i think it was from the heat only once I turned off the heater no more gasping. In winter(now) they don’t get much fresh air like summer cause I’m opening the AC, but the room is still not fully closed the air could get in from many spots. The sick chick was still alive today but he is still sick.
I'm sorry that he is still sick.
The most common problem with young birds is Coccidiosis overload. What do you have available for treatment? Amprolium or a sulfa drugs?

I have Amprolium, Sulfa and toltrazuril. Surprisingly the chick is doing much better today, i hardly figured which one its, he was active and acting totally normal. The only two things i have done is i put them back in their old brooder which look the same as their newer brooder in everything and I turned on the heater again just in case it could get cold late in the night.

Back
Top Bottom