Maran or Cochin

FarrFreshEggs

In the Brooder
Nov 21, 2023
Picked up this sweet lady today. Picked her out of the “color assortment” pullet bin. Thought for sure she was a maran but now I’m not 100% and maybe she’s a Cochin? Can’t find any definitive telltale sign, which is which. What do you think?

Attachments

• IMG_1801.jpeg
    IMG_1801.jpeg
    477.7 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_1800.jpeg
    IMG_1800.jpeg
    513.8 KB · Views: 13
Picked up this sweet lady today. Picked her out of the “color assortment” pullet bin. Thought for sure she was a maran but now I’m not 100% and maybe she’s a Cochin? Can’t find any definitive telltale sign, which is which. What do you think?
Marans should have white soles on their feet, and I'm pretty sure Cochins should have yellow soles feet.

Foot color on chicks can seem to change when they are very young, but it usually settles down to the correct adult color within a few weeks.

(Of course "purebred" chicks with the wrong foot color do exist sometimes, but with most chicks from hatcheries the foot color is correct more often than it is wrong, so it is still helpful for figuring out what breed you have.)

Cochins are supposed to have heavily feathered feet, and Marans would typically have sparse feathering, but those feet look in-between to me. So I wouldn't want to decide either way, based just on that.

Cochins generally grow up to be much more fluffy than Marans, and Cochins lay eggs that are a much lighter brown than Marans eggs, but of course you have to wait for the chick to grow before you can check those traits.

Marans should have white soles on their feet, and I'm pretty sure Cochins should have yellow soles feet.

Foot color on chicks can seem to change when they are very young, but it usually settles down to the correct adult color within a few weeks.

(Of course "purebred" chicks with the wrong foot color do exist sometimes, but with most chicks from hatcheries the foot color is correct more often than it is wrong, so it is still helpful for figuring out what breed you have.)

Cochins are supposed to have heavily feathered feet, and Marans would typically have sparse feathering, but those feet look in-between to me. So I wouldn't want to decide either way, based just on that.

Cochins generally grow up to be much more fluffy than Marans, and Cochins lay eggs that are a much lighter brown than Marans eggs, but of course you have to wait for the chick to grow before you can check those traits.
Thank you so much. I just ran out and took this. I guess I’m not an expert but it looks more white than yellow but I could be wrong. It doesn’t matter either way what breed she is. She’s super sweet and I’ll keep her no matter which she grows out to be lol 😂 I was just so certain she was a maran and of course I didn’t read the full label of all the possible breeds so idk if it said Cochin was a possibility

Attachments

• IMG_1804.jpeg
    IMG_1804.jpeg
    398.4 KB · Views: 10
Thank you so much. I just ran out and took this. I guess I’m not an expert but it looks more white than yellow but I could be wrong. It doesn’t matter either way what breed she is. She’s super sweet and I’ll keep her no matter which she grows out to be lol 😂 I was just so certain she was a maran and of course I didn’t read the full label of all the possible breeds so idk if it said Cochin was a possibility
I agree it looks more white than yellow in that photo.

I've seen some chicks that hatched with light yellow feet and I wasn't sure if they were yellow or white, and a few weeks later the feet were bright yellow and very obvious, so I've learned to guess early and then wait to be sure ;)

I agree it looks more white than yellow in that photo.

I've seen some chicks that hatched with light yellow feet and I wasn't sure if they were yellow or white, and a few weeks later the feet were bright yellow and very obvious, so I've learned to guess early and then wait to be sure ;)
Absolutely. Thank you for your input! At least now I know there’s a sign to look for!

My bet is that she is an olive egger given she came from a "color assortment".

Super cute little one there!
Very good point. Since olive eggers are often Marans-mixes, then any amount of Marans traits can also show up in an Olive Egger. Depending on what else is in the mix, any kind of other traits can show up too.

Just found this on Hoover hatchery (which is who supplied Coastal with the mix of chicks) and she may be a midnight majesty 😍 I will wait and see! 💗
Yes, that is a definite possibility as well.

Lots of fun options!

Back
Top Bottom