Maran-Silkie cross

TeachMEchickens

In the Brooder
Sep 2, 2023
One of my hens just hatched some eggs. Two of them belonged to my Maran hen (black copper I think). Both chicks that hatched have 5 toes and black skin, so assuming the father is my white Silkie. What can anyone tell me about the genetics of this cross? Will they have the Silkie feathers? Is there a sex link with the color?

1st question: no. If bred to a bird with the silkie feathering, or a bird that carries one copy of the gene (like them), some of their offspring will.
2nd question: I have no clue, so let me tag some people. @MysteryChicken @NatJ
I doubt there'd be sexlinked chicks unless the father is Gold Based, & Hen Silver(Different then your pairing).

There's also sex links based on skin/shank color. The order for this too work would be Fibro Rooster over a Yellow skinned/Shanked hen, or White skinned/shanked hen.
This would make Females with black skin, & Males with White, or Yellow skin.

No they wouldn't be Silkie but they would be sexlinked if the BCM not having the id+ gene. I think they just have slate legs due to the feather color rather than id+ but I'm not sure. Males would have white skin and females would be fibro.

Two of them belonged to my Maran hen (black copper I think). Both chicks that hatched have 5 toes and black skin, so assuming the father is my white Silkie. What can anyone tell me about the genetics of this cross? Will they have the Silkie feathers? Is there a sex link with the color?
I agree with all the others about feathers-- no silkie feathers on chicks from this cross.

About sex-linkage, I do not expect any feather-color sexlinks. For skin-color sexlinks, I think there is a chance that black skin means female chicks, but I'm not positive. In crosses with a Silkie rooster, some hens will produce black-skinned daughters and light-skinned sons (sexlinks), while some other hens will produce both sons and daughters with black skin (not sexlinks). I'm not really sure which genes your Marans hen has.

As the chicks grow, if either of them turns out to be a male, you will know that sexing by skin color does not work for this cross. If they are both female, you won't know for sure what males of this cross look like, so you will not know if sexing by skin color is possible or not for future chicks of this cross. If you hatch chicks from this cross in the future, and get any chicks with light skin, those chicks would be males, and then you would know that sexing them by skin color does work.

I doubt there'd be sexlinked chicks unless the father is Gold Based, & Hen Silver(Different then your pairing).

There's also sex links based on skin/shank color. The order for this too work would be Fibro Rooster over a Yellow skinned/Shanked hen, or White skinned/shanked hen.
This would make Females with black skin, & Males with White, or Yellow skin.
Gosh that's some crazy knowledge u have. I just hatched a blk skin baby I think from my cochin x partridge silkie and the rooster is either my white skinned silkie x americauna male or the partridge bearded silkie black one. I am so confused on how that works like you said. Can you help me understand please.

Gosh that's some crazy knowledge u have. I just hatched a blk skin baby I think from my cochin x partridge silkie and the rooster is either my white skinned silkie x americauna male or the partridge bearded silkie black one. I am so confused on how that works like you said. Can you help me understand please.
I could try.

Like which would you like to understand more?

Ok I appreciate you trying. I just hatched two eggs from my half cochin partridge silkie rooster and hen. Both had black skin and same partridge feathering on rooster but my hen was barred. The chick's look like my full partridge silkie chick. Is this possible, what would they be? They have 5 toes.

Back
Top Bottom