Maran variaties and egg color

iajewel

Songster
11 Years
Oct 22, 2008
Corning IA
Do you think that the color veriaty of maran makes a diffrance in the deepness in color of the chocolate maran egg? My boyfrind loves the green and blue eggs so much I wanted to suprise him with a really dark egg in the nest. I just want to make sure I buy some hens that will produce a nice passable chocolate egg.

Any advice is welcomed.. along with advertizements for your spring chicks.. as I want to buy from a reliable breeder.
Thanks
Jewel

Quote:
At this point in time some of the varieties **tend** to lay darker eggs than other varieties. For instance, black coppers are widely regarded as the darkest egg layers. HOWEVER, some black coppers will lay very LIGHT eggs -- while some birds of other varieties may lay very DARK eggs. So, you have to be very careful to get information about the specific FLOCK you're buying from, rather than just relying on the variety to tell you about their egg color.

I've been very happy with how my wheatens have held their color. My cuckoos also lay a nice dark egg for me, but theirs tend to lightened up more over their laying cycle.

I know nothing about what flocks are out there much less what they are producing, however that does make very good sence.
I have thought about the Murray McMurray birds just becuase most people only want to ship eggs and I don't like to hatch shipped eggs.
Any suggestions on a good flock to start with? I do like the ones that look like Creoles but.. Im not picky... I just want to see a basket of pretty eggs on the table for Kurt and my grand daughter.

If you want the nice dark eggs and you don't want to hatch eggs you'd be better off to find a breeder to buy chicks from.....not a hatchery. They are not selective on how they breed their birds compared to a reputable breeder who only hatches chicks from their darkest eggs. You need to remember buyer beware tho since not everyone is picky about or truthful about their egg color.

If I go to the trouble of getting some Marans, I will hatch some and work on a line with my grandaughter and Kurt... I can understand breeders keeping thier best, hopefully they are't just out for a buck and the Maran won't be ruined here in the US.

I don't think they keep their best for themselves.....just that they only use the best for their breeder flocks....and don't breed for quantity like the hatcheries do. There are a lot of people who haven't have their marans very long...especially when it comes to the Black Coppers. I think a lot of them got into it thinking they'd make a quick buck. Just do your research on the different breeders...ask lots and lots of questions.
smile.png

All varieties of Marans ought to lay a dark egg.

Technically, in order to be called a marans the egg colour at its lightest point in lay is supposed to be at least 4 on the French marans site egg colour chart.

It seems, in US, the copper blacks & the wheatens are, possibly, the most reliable colours to buy in the hope of getting a good colour of egg.

There are quite a lot of breeders who put a great deal of care into breeding their Marans; as Katy said it pays to research breeders before purchasing.

You will have to buy from a breeder to get a bird that lays a dark egg. Hatchery stock is hatchery stock. They may advertise they are dark egg layers but the birds lay a normal brown egg. Even if you get the bird from a breeder, I would want to see the eggs, on the premises, before I put any money on the table.

Tim

Thanks everyone! very good information here. I agree some would want those high prices I saw last year for the eggs.. WOW... thats what kept me out of them actually as I don't like "fad" birds.
Then my boyfriend got so excited with his first green egg.. and my grandaughter thinks visiting my house is Easter ( with the bunnies and colored eggs and all) I really want to give them a go for the fun of it.. and yes.. of course.. working on the breed once I get them home.
Now.. the million dollar question.. Who is a good breeder to start with?

Back
Top Bottom