Marans - SOP discussion thread

Fully Flopped Comb - DQ

93512_blue_copper_hen_red_band_2.jpg

93512_blue_copper_hen_red_band.jpg

Quote:
It depends on the reason behind the copying. In this situation, the Fair Use clause comes into effect. Section 107 of the U.S. copyright law (U.S.C. Title 17) states that one can use the work of another and not be in violation of existing copyright if the reason behind the usage is for educational purposes. In this situation, court cases back up posting the SOP here since it is a review for the purposes of illustration as well as clarification.

I would cover my bases here and anytime someone posts a published SOP include a comment about who published it (APA), the year it was published (2011), and the page or pages it is found. One of those CYA things.

Quote:
This seems to me to be an unusual thing for an APA licensed judge to complain about. The APA publishes the standards for newly recognized breeds and varieties in the News and Views. According to the by-laws, all licensed judges must remain APA members. Therefore, the APA not only does send new descriptions to all licensed judges, it also sends them to all APA members.

If I missed it somewhere I apologize, but I did not see where permission to reprint the Marans standard in it's entirety has been granted by the APA. The Standards are all copyrighted, and per copyright law, permission must be granted before using them, except for small excerpts. Maybe Walt can clarify this if I'm mistaken, as he is chairman of the Standard Committee, I believe.

You are correct on all counts. The description of new breeds/varieties is published in the APA newsletter and judges are supposed to read it and hopefully put it in their SOP that they are supposed to have with them whenever they judge birds. It would be too costly to send a separate description to each judge when it is already available in the newsletter. The SOP descriptions are copyrighted by the APA, but until it is actually printed in the SOP I don't see it as a problem when I run across it here.

Walt

Quote:
This seems to me to be an unusual thing for an APA licensed judge to complain about. The APA publishes the standards for newly recognized breeds and varieties in the News and Views. According to the by-laws, all licensed judges must remain APA members. Therefore, the APA not only does send new descriptions to all licensed judges, it also sends them to all APA members.

If I missed it somewhere I apologize, but I did not see where permission to reprint the Marans standard in it's entirety has been granted by the APA. The Standards are all copyrighted, and per copyright law, permission must be granted before using them, except for small excerpts. Maybe Walt can clarify this if I'm mistaken, as he is chairman of the Standard Committee, I believe.

You are correct on all counts. The description of new breeds/varieties is published in the APA newsletter and judges are supposed to read it and hopefully put it in their SOP that they are supposed to have with them whenever they judge birds. It would be too costly to send a separate description to each judge when it is already available in the newsletter. The SOP descriptions are copyrighted by the APA, but until it is actually printed in the SOP I don't see it as a problem when I run across it here.

Walt

I quote from the 1st page of the APA ...

"Permission to make quotations from the text of this book is granted soley for the purpose of dissemination of knowledge, provided proper credit is cited."

So, the standard may be reporducted as long as it also states its from the APA.

Quote:

Walt

"Permission to make quotations from the text of this book is granted soley for the purpose of dissemination of knowledge, provided proper credit is cited."

Most people would think this means that you have to ask permission before you copy anything from the SOP. That was the intent of that notice and I know that permission is very seldom granted.

Walt

Quote:

Most people would think this means that you have to ask permission before you copy anything from the SOP. That was the intent of that notice and I know that permission is very seldom granted.

Walt

I don't know if they require permission ahead of time, but it doesn't say that. Probably should find out for sure. I was under the impression that it was ok for educational purposes.
How would anyone know what the standard is if it was only in the book? We have it on the MCC web site, and I know we didn't ask permission since it was our club that made the standard up. I see other breeds have their standards on websites...who would know for sure in the APA to ask?

Quote:

Walt

I don't know if they require permission ahead of time, but it doesn't say that. Probably should find out for sure. I was under the impression that it was ok for educational purposes.
How would anyone know what the standard is if it was only in the book? We have it on the MCC web site, and I know we didn't ask permission since it was our club that made the standard up. I see other breeds have their standards on websites...who would know for sure in the APA to ask?

Seems an odd statement to make if further permission is required especially since it follows immediately after a sentence that "expressly forbids" any use of the illustrations.
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom