Marans - SOP discussion thread

Quote:
Nice example of this fault ... good close up shot!
thumbsup.gif

Pics being supplied by Gilavina

Here is that peacombed girl mentioned. the second photo is of another one. I didn't know which photo might have a better viewing angle for people, so I'm posting both.
77986_img_2475.jpg

77986_img_1159.jpg

this is a BCM boy I had that had some white in his tail crop up over night. Might have been related to molting, I'm not sure, didn't hold onto him long enough to find out. he turned mean once he hit the 6 month mark and would start launching himself at my face every time I needed to fill waterers or feed trays...so he was invited to dinner one night
roll.png

77986_img_2064.jpg

this is a blue birchen girl that has over coloring in her breast, but I posted the photo because she also has mossiness in her body as well. In the birchens it comes through more as white and shades of cream than it does brown like in the BCMs. I didn't know if this would help or not.

77986_img_2487.jpg

I know I can help you out with the squirrel tail and the crooked toe. the roo I no longer have, but he had a nice example, I just gotta look for the pics.
Ok, here he is. he was one of the very first Marans I ever had. Came with some of the girls I bought, shortly after he got here he went to chickie heaven.

77986_img_1410.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
That is the problem with the BCM descriptions. There are some that say different things. The Marans club has the correct description posted now. Use that one.

Walt

Thanks Walt. I did as suggested and went to the Marans USA site and found

Male

Comb, Face, Wattles, & Ear-Lobes: Bright red.
Beak: Horn, black shading permitted.
Eyes: Reddish bay.
Head: Lustrous deep copper, neither yellow nor mahogany.
Neck— Hackle : Lustrous deep copper, neither yellow nor mahogany. Some feathers, especially in the lower hackle, may include a narrow dark stripe through the middle of each feather, terminating in a point near its lower extremity.
Front of neck : Black with markings of deep copper.
Back: Lustrous deep copper.
Saddle : Same as hackle.
Tail— Main Tail :Black with slight luster.
Sickles and Coverts : Lustrous black.
Wings—Shoulders : Black.
Fronts : Black.
Bows : Deep russet red.
Coverts : Lustrous black.
Primaries : Black.
Secondaries : Black, exposed portion forming black wing bay.
Breast: Solid black or with a few copper spots. Not laced.
Body & Stern: Black.
Legs & Toes— Lower Thighs : Black.
Shanks and Toes : Shanks and toes light to mid-slate, showing pink between the scales. Bottoms of feet pinkish white.
Shank and Toe Feathers : Black.

Female

Comb, Face, Wattles, & Ear-Lobes: Bright red.
Beak: Dark horn.
Eyes: Reddish bay.
Head: Lustrous copper.
Neck - Hackle : Copper, with a narrow dark stripe through the middle of each feather, terminating to a point near its lower extremity.
Front of Neck : Black with markings of copper.
Back: Black.
Tail: Black.
Wings: Black.
Breast: Solid black.
Body & Stern: Black.
Legs & Toes—Lower Thighs : Black.
Shanks and Toes :Dark slate, bottoms of feet pinkish white.
Shank and Toe Feathers : Black

I did not find any mention of DQ for mossiness or the above "brown spotting on body of female BCM " on this site.

I went to the Marans of America site and they say they are posting SOP because they keep changing and refer everyone to the French standards. On this site they do use the
Brown spotting on body of female BCM, BUT list it as a serious DEFECT.

IS THIS STILL A DQ ?
IS IT WHAT WE COMMONLY CALL MOSSINESS?

i have some bcm that i can take some pics of for yall to check them over for the sop. my roo can go into the disquifcation/default area with his crocked tail(wry?) if thats alright here as i havent gotten any type of cretiqe on the other 2 threads (marans and the bcm thread)

Quote:
The marans thread is the place to post your pics fro a critique. That is a VERY FAST moving thread and sometimes posts get messed.
I see that you posted pics on 12/6. I would REPOST them and CLEARLY state " I want an HONEST Critique and am willing to hear the Good and BAD".

Folks will tell you the TRUTH, but they don't want you getting mad if the TRUTH is not pleasant. Every bird has its issues, but MOST folks don't want to hear it
smile.png

After you hear the critique, if you are still willing to let us add your pictures to our collection of faults and DQs, I will be happy to transfer them over here
smile.png

WELCOME to the world of marans and I am sorry your post was missed the first time!
hugs.gif

Once again, repost the pics on the marans forum at ...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=383387&p=2592

Quote:
The marans thread is the place to post your pics fro a critique. That is a VERY FAST moving thread and sometimes posts get messed.
I see that you posted pics on 12/6. I would REPOST them and CLEARLY state " I want an HONEST Critique and am willing to hear the Good and BAD".

Folks will tell you the TRUTH, but they don't want you getting mad if the TRUTH is not pleasant. Every bird has its issues, but MOST folks don't want to hear it
smile.png

After you hear the critique, if you are still willing to let us add your pictures to our collection of faults and DQs, I will be happy to transfer them over here
smile.png

WELCOME to the world of marans and I am sorry your post was missed the first time!
hugs.gif

Once again, repost the pics on the marans forum at ...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=383387&p=2592

ok i will tomorrow after i take some new pics of them

Quote:
This seems to me to be an unusual thing for an APA licensed judge to complain about. The APA publishes the standards for newly recognized breeds and varieties in the News and Views. According to the by-laws, all licensed judges must remain APA members. Therefore, the APA not only does send new descriptions to all licensed judges, it also sends them to all APA members.

If I missed it somewhere I apologize, but I did not see where permission to reprint the Marans standard in it's entirety has been granted by the APA. The Standards are all copyrighted, and per copyright law, permission must be granted before using them, except for small excerpts. Maybe Walt can clarify this if I'm mistaken, as he is chairman of the Standard Committee, I believe.

Back
Top Bottom