Marans - SOP discussion thread

Missing toe nail on rudimentary toe - FAULT

62282_igor.jpg

Here is an excellent pic of "Crooked Toes". This pullet was born this way, and vitamin therapy did not help. Pic taken at approx, 9 weeks of age. There was no trauma or heat/humidity flucuations during the hatch, and none of the others (4) in the hatch had this problem. Leads me to think it may be genetic. In another hatch previous to this one, I had one cockerel born this way too, and over time, the toes straightened out on their own.
hu.gif
Please forgive the mud! It poured here for the two days prior to the pic!

56168_sdc13213.jpg

Last edited:
are they white with a slate color on front or a black color all over? i have been told both and read both and i have gotten myself confused and jumbling it all together
hmm.png

Lower Thighs -- Black. is this the feathering or actual thigh color
Shanks and Toes -- Shanks and toes light to mid-slate, showing pink between the scales. Bottoms of feet pinkish white. so this is white legs with the slate color along the front
Shank and Toe Feathers -- Black. they are just pure black except for the bottom of the feet correct

Last edited:
Quote:
LEGS AND TOES:
Lower Thighs -- Black.
Shanks and Toes -- Shanks and toes light to mid-slate, showing pink between the scales. Bottoms of feet pinkish white.
Shank and Toe Feathers -- Black.

They should be the same color all over the leg and on the tops of the toes with the pink between scales too. The bottom of the feet pinkish white.

Last edited:
Quote:
This is the decription of FEATHERS .. .

Shank and Toe Feathers - - Black

The other two descriptions are for the skin ( NOT feathers)

Lower Thighs --
Shanks and Toes --

The description given is for the BLACK COPPER MARANS.
The white leg thing ( I think) is for the Wheaten Marans. Different color varieties are going to have different color description.

Did that help ? ?

Quote:
Lower Thighs- This is referring to the feather color of the thigh.

Shanks and Toes- The pink they are referring to on the shanks and toes will look like this...(this will be more of a vermillion red or very dark bright pink that goes down the outside of the shanks and inbetween the toes on the reticulate scales. The bottom of the feet are very light pink, almost looking white but has a tinge of color.
(This is a photo of a Splash Copper males legs, not the same leg color as a BC, but it clearly shows the "pink" reticulate scales in between the toes and of the shank.)
11170_imgp1386.jpg

Shanks and Toes Feathers- The feathering on the shanks and outer toes should be all black on the Black Coppers, you are correct.
smile.png

Hope this helps.

Having trouble keeping track of what is found and what is needed!

I have a bird with a split wing, if we need it (not Marans, though)

Back
Top Bottom