Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

Quote:
Thank you for posting this!! Now I can look back through my pics and get an idea what the judge was thinking. It is so interesting
smile.png

Mel I am thinking about getting netting over the tops of a few of my runs. Some of mine have shade cloth right now and it works really well but it does get heavy and stretches when it rains etc and then I have to take everything apart and tighten it up. It is a royal PIA to do that lol! I think I will just keep a section of shade cloth and the rest netting....

The netting I got from Murray McMurray was 2" mesh, 25'x50' size and cost $87.00. It was a "drop ship" item and arrived at my house 5 days after I ordered it.

Thanks, I will check them out
smile.png

Quote:
Just a soggy dusting of snow.
caf.gif

The 3 little ones are doing great. One of them is noticeably larger than the other 2.
idunno.gif

The original "Gang of 6" are feathering in quite nicely. Got my first egg from the "Bills' Baby" yesterday!
jumpy.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif

(ever seen soggy dust?)

Shaaaahhh.....!!!!! We live in WASHINGTON! Hello!?!?!?! Are you tryin' to tell me there is snow that isn't soggy?
lol.png

Don't know about the one that is larger.....maybe it is a roostie and I was wrong.
hide.gif
If'n it turns out a roo and you don't want him....I will take him back, no worries...or you may want to grow him out, he may have some qualities that Madison doesn't have and you may decide that you like him better. Remember.....a splash bird is, IMO, vital and is basically a universal tool to have around when breeding for blues, I keep atleast one girl and one boy around at all times.
smile.png

Last edited:
I have no idea... I just mixed the batter for the recipe... I didn't name her... Albury did.. Or her daughter... I am sure it is a good name though... I would have to call her Duracell... She has really good color... The blue is strong and so is the hackle color...

Nice girl! You do like 'em low don'tcha? I can see what you see in her by that photo...cages suck out loud for taking pictures of them...I think cages should be taller than they are. Sometimes those big boys don't look comfy in them, like they are always hunched over because they can't stand up straight.
I won't have any birds available to take along..I don't think, I only have one girl that is 4 mos old that I am growing out......all the rest that I have hatched out since fall I gave to others,
hide.gif
, but I'm sure I can save a couple eggs.
smile.png

Just take whacha got... Not a lot of ppl around here have much.. We can put on a show with just ours... C'mon... who knows we may be the first to win APA ribbons...
smile.png
The day after final approval... we can be apa ribbonworthy...

Quote:
I am getting some real nice Wellie eggs but the Maran girls...not so much.
idunno.gif

I won't have any birds that would be even close to Show Quality until some of my "Gang Of 6" that I got from Pinkchick grows out a little more. Once that happens they can just send me the trophy and save me the gas....
yippiechickie.gif

And Pinkchick...that bigger one of the last 3 is a hen. She just has some kind of turbo-grow genetics going on!
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
Wow.. kinda bold there Mel considering the company you are keeping
wink.png
lau.gif

Feel free to keep all the Wellie trophies.. Wellies are too noisy.... My marans are quite as churchmice... Even charles has good quiet manners... And a dark throaty crow that he passes on to his "boys"

Last edited:
Quote:
Kinda' bold? I think "not so much"... these birds not only came from
bow.gif
Pinkchick, but they are from
yippiechickie.gif
"Bill" as well.
big_smile.png

I don't know what kinda' eggs your Wellies lay, but the eggs from mine are very quiet -- they just sit there and don't make any noise at all.
lau.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif
gig.gif

Besides, I would think that you would want to keep some Wellies around just for making French Toast...

Last edited:
I have a general question regarding the health of birds in/at a show. At Newnan (the first show I've been to not including fairs etc.) I saw 2 very ill birds in a cage together in the sale tent. They were cornish I think. There were 3 birds in that cage and 2 of them had tons of bubbles coming out both eyes. The birds mostly stood hunched over with thier eyes shut and looked like they were ready to fall over. I took some pics but didnt post because it was near a 4H exhibit and I wasn't sure if the birds being sold in that tent belonged to a minor and there was a contact name and info on the card on the cage.

Anyhow, for furture reference, what are you supposed to do when you encounter this at a show? Couldn't they be putting many other birds even the show birds at risk by bringing such obviously sick birds to the show? Just wondering...this has been bugging me lol.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom