Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

Quote:
I believe that Cracker is a pullet.
big_smile.png
She is a cutie isn't she!
love.gif

Ok, here's what may be a very silly question, but here goes. Does B/B/S have any effect on egg color? I know that the egg color can vary from bird to bird, but does the B/B/S have anything to do with it?

Quote:
I will try and do this without coming accross as being Rude. First the male does not have a back, too short, the saddle area is higher that the shoulder, tail way too low. With the very short legs I would question if they are pure BC Marans. The actual back looks like it is lower in the middle. Don

After you pointed that out I had to go back and take a longer second look Don and I see what you see...but I still like his overall bulky-ness. I don't see the very short legs, but isn't shorter legs or lowriders as Geebs calls them a trait that is most commonly known to come along with Jeane line birds or Presley or even a trait that carries over from cross lines? I didn't know that shorter legs would necessarily mean not pure Marans.
I do like the looks of those lowridin' hens that Geebs likes though.

Quote:
I don't think that's a silly question, I'd like to know that myself. Seems the diluted birds tend to have a more diluted egg color too. Now if there is any connection, I don't know. With selective breeding, they are getting darker. I've seen some awesome eggs from blues and splashes lately.

Hi Steve!
frow.gif

I must get out the door to the post office and send Harris5's and Beesong's eggs out or those gals are going to have my hide...
lol.png
but when I get home later this afternoon I can post a photo of a Splash hen and I can try to help with your BBS egg color question.
smile.png

But I know there are folks out there with pretty Splash hen photos they can share with you and I hope they do come by and post them for us to see. You are right...not alot of them posted AND I know that others have advise and opinions and they too will come along and share. I agree with Debbi....some can lay lighter but then I have seen some very nice egg color from Blues and Splash that are indistinguishable (sp?) from the Black Coppers.
smile.png

Quote:
Up to now, I have't heard anyone bragging about their dark eggs from splash hens. Generally, they lay a lighter egg, why? Don't know

As far as blue coppers, I have had several that lay as dark as my black coppers.

Sue

Quote:
I will try and do this without coming accross as being Rude. First the male does not have a back, too short, the saddle area is higher that the shoulder, tail way too low. With the very short legs I would question if they are pure BC Marans. The actual back looks like it is lower in the middle. Don

After you pointed that out I had to go back and take a longer second look Don and I see what you see...but I still like his overall bulky-ness. I don't see the very short legs, but isn't shorter legs or lowriders as Geebs calls them a trait that is most commonly known to come along with Jeane line birds or Presley or even a trait that carries over from cross lines? I didn't know that shorter legs would necessarily mean not pure Marans.
I do like the looks of those lowridin' hens that Geebs likes though.

Kim, I like a Marans female that has the size of the birds you have posted. I like the big males and female. My Marans all weigh over the required top weight and I weigh and cull any that do not make the top weight. There are no short leg Marans here and my present BC stock is 100% Jeane, I cull any of the dumpy type birds. i like the kind of Marans that Debbi got from Tannis as eggs. Don

Just for info. purposes does anyone have BC Marans that produce chicks that do not have the white in Wing and Tail after the Juve Molt ? Lets also add the White in the undercolor of the Hackle.. If someone has a line that will accomplish all this sure would like to hear about them. Thanks, Don

Back
Top Bottom