Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

Quote:
I think you are a little late on this suggestion - - - I just finished my 3rd brooder and no one has ever mentioned a GCF heater. . .

I guess I'll be doing some research later today
thumbsup.gif

Lisa, Ask questions my friend. Don

Quote:
I think you are a little late on this suggestion - - - I just finished my 3rd brooder and no one has ever mentioned a GCF heater. . .

I guess I'll be doing some research later today
thumbsup.gif

Where do I get them ?

Why do I want to use them - - what are their advantages?

Are there any negatives ?

Lastly, what does GQF stand for ?

Quote:
There are days, many days, when it is all I can do to squeeze in a half hour on BYC.. . . .

HOW, DON, do you deal with all those birds ( over 600) AND get on line?

I am online a lot today - - but we have foul weather and I am house bound. Working on Laundry and BYC today.
So, I am REAL LUCKY to chat with everyone. I only have 40 - 50 birds in the yard now and they are keeping me hopping. Another 20 in the house and a batch going into lockdown. LORDY, I need to STOP this madness. WHAT WAS I THINKING. .. .
hu.gif
hu.gif

OMG, there are more eggs on the way, too.
th.gif

Any guesses on if these are pullets or roo's? They are Wheaten Marans. The second one has a lot more black color on its feathers than the first one. I'm new to Marans, so I am not sure. Will they lighten when they are older, or will they be this dark? Thanks for your help!

Chick 1
81236_wheaten_1a.jpg

another picture of same chick 1
81236_wheaten_1b.jpg

Chick 2
81236_wheaten_2a.jpg

another picture of chick 2
81236_wheaten_2b.jpg

Quote:
Im just taking a guess from what I have been learning but I would say:

1 pullet
2 roo

Any more experienced people out there please correct me if Im wrong.
Found this herehttp://maransofamericaclub.com/wheatenmarans.php
So Wheaten chicks are easily sexed from the age of 2 to 3 weeks, as the first wing feathers on the pullet are wheaten, and on the cockerel they are black

Last edited:
Hey Pink! Thought I would post some recent pics of your babies. I have them outside in their own tractor now. They want to be out with the big chickens!

48594_038.jpg

They are a little over 5 weeks old now. For some reason photo time means grooming time...

48594_grooming.jpg

Here is a photo of the darkest one. I believe a pullet. Starting to show a little copper. You can see the chick with the interesting color also.

48594_darkie_2.jpg

Bill's chick was not cooperative for photos. Seemed really put off by the camera. He is the one sitting down. Does he look like a boy? If you can tell by the photo. My favorite boy also. Quite the furry legs on him.

48594_018.jpg

Quote:
Im just taking a guess from what I have been learning but I would say:

1 pullet
2 roo

Any more experienced people out there please correct me if Im wrong.
Found this herehttp://maransofamericaclub.com/wheatenmarans.php
So Wheaten chicks are easily sexed from the age of 2 to 3 weeks, as the first wing feathers on the pullet are wheaten, and on the cockerel they are black

That's what I was thinking, (reading on that other website to find out what to look for) but I am not sure. maybe someone else will weigh in. Neither one is really light wheaten color, both are a darker red color with the second having more black for sure. Anyone else?
hmm.png

Quote:

Where do I get them ?

Lisa, GQF is the company that makes the sportsman Incubator. Georgia Quail Farm. I buy all my supplys of that type from CutlersSupply ad the com. this heater unit is for the Box Brooder. The advantage is you do not have to worry about a light bulb burning out. You can set it at any temperature you would like. In the Cuttlers book or site it is item #0537, will send you a pm with how my brooder Box are made later. Don

Quote:
Where do I get them ?

Lisa, GQF is the company that makes the sportsman Incubator. Georgia Quail Farm. I buy all my supplys of that type from CutlersSupply ad the com. this heater unit is for the Box Brooder. The advantage is you do not have to worry about a light bulb burning out. You can set it at any temperature you would like. In the Cuttlers book or site it is item #0537, will send you a pm with how my brooder Box are made later. Don

THANK YOU -- - -Dh was wondering if there was any way to upgrade from the light bulb in the brooder lamp set up. . . We use a regulator to control wattage output put it still requires that we decide what percentage of the 250 watt heat lamp that we want to use. We have a tempostat on another set up, but once again . .. .it wasn't designed with chickens in mind, so we have had to make modifications to make it work
smile.png

Wow...the thread is hopping today! Morning/ Afternoon everyone!

My mystery hatch is in full swing finally. I'm excited I've got another batch to candle...one is a collossal pullet egg I'm curious to see if its developing. I candled it with a high power LED light and could not see any more than just one yolk, so I'm hopeful. I also have a tray of eggs to go in. Some Blue Birchens, Blues, bantam project, and some blue project eggs in the Marans. I also have some Lavender Silver Sussex, and some Blue Wyandottes. I'm gonna have my hands full.
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom