Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Wynette, Aug 7, 2010.

1. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    Quote:Ooh Ooh Me Me [​IMG]

2. Mountain Mel

Mountain Mel Pinkchicks' Neighbor

Dec 31, 2010
    Castle Rock, WA
    Quote:Yes, but they use the term "lightly feathered" as being the correct amount of feathering. In this case, I believe these feathers will be sparse in volume, as compared to the MCCU's term of "lightly" purportedly being correct. In other words, this chick won't have enough when grown, so in my mind they are lacking, or sparse. [​IMG]

This will end up being a nightmare for most Judge.

LOL [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] ...Especially when the woman showing the bird thinks that the feathering is "light" and the male judge says [​IMG] it's "sparse" [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] ....I don't care if my birds layed 24 karat solid gold eggs with a #9 color coat, I will not put my birds or eggs in a fair or a show. Personal preference...

3. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    Well I guess that will make it like a horseshow... The judges discretion... If you don't like the judges opinion... show under a different judge... they are individuals... It is after all.... for fun!!!

I have lots of ribbons... some of them I feel I deserved.. some I think someone bettered me... The real win for me Mel as well is the satisfaction in my own yard... If someone agrees with me... Well lucky them.. ha ha ha... [​IMG]

4. Mountain Mel

Dec 31, 2010
    Castle Rock, WA
    Quote:WHAT [​IMG] What was that Mel ? ? ? [​IMG]

If the first joint hurts does it mean something else ? ?
    What if it is the second joint of the second toe ? ?
    What does it mean if it faces north instead of south ? ?

Does your toe come with a rubric ? ??

Have you considered seeing a doctor about your toe ailments ? ? [​IMG]

No, but I have been offered a job as a meteorologist!

5. geebs

Sep 28, 2008
    WHat are you doing up MEl??? everyone else went to bed with the chickens??? I am working on coal fusion.... (not) World peace.. (Nope not that either)

Last edited: Jun 2, 2011
  6. Lotsapaints

Lotsapaints Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    Paso Robles, CA
    Quote:Wow Mel I want some of those hens who would care about a show when you were collecting those eggs....heavy ones I would think....Please keep your weather up north would ya sending rain here this weekend we haven't had any 100 degree days yet and it was 35 for the low burrrr and I'm going on my "horseless" trail ride bringing a coat in June really that's not close to the norm and no warm weather for another 10 days..highs in the 60's to low 70's and the wind has been terrible.

7. Mountain Mel

Dec 31, 2010
    Castle Rock, WA
    Quote:My kids tell me all the time, " It ain't funny if we have to explain it", but could you explain why "non-hybrid" corn?
    Hybrid corn is no good for the higher proof stuff ? ? ?

From what my deceased neighbor used to tell me, to make "Shine" it has to be non-hybrid corn because it has something to do with the components of the grain and it's ability to germinate during the fermentation process....can you help me out here, Don? [​IMG] Anybody that could come up with such an awesome setup as your barrel coops must have a background in working with barrels -- like maybe charred oak ones -- ...

Last edited: Jun 2, 2011
  8. geebs

Sep 28, 2008
    Lotsapaints: Hi... Did you see the horseless horseshow with stick ponies... It was a hoot.

9. Mountain Mel

Dec 31, 2010
    Castle Rock, WA
    Quote:Just got home from work...

10. geebs

Sep 28, 2008
    Ah I see..... I just haven't gone to bed yet... too jazzed about hatching chicks!!!! Haven't hatched anything for months...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by