Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Wynette, Aug 7, 2010.

1. Mountain Mel

Mountain Mel Pinkchicks' Neighbor

Dec 31, 2010
    Castle Rock, WA
    Quote:Wow Mel I want some of those hens who would care about a show when you were collecting those eggs....heavy ones I would think....Please keep your weather up north would ya sending rain here this weekend we haven't had any 100 degree days yet and it was 35 for the low burrrr and I'm going on my "horseless" trail ride bringing a coat in June really that's not close to the norm and no warm weather for another 10 days..highs in the 60's to low 70's and the wind has been terrible.

Any bird that lays those eggs will be a low-rider, for sure!

2. Lotsapaints

Lotsapaints Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    Paso Robles, CA
    The Queen contest was a hoot but the cutters were the funniest...I need to bring a stick horse to the ride been so busy working on the motor home I haven't had a chance to rig something up but the motor home looks like a TV makeover show after I get the upholstery done I should post pictures....glad I have it going to need a heater going to Parkfield no earthquakes please

3. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    Mel... are you sweet talking me... with all that low rider talk!!!

LOP: it is great how ppl are dealing with the problem... Our team is under quarantine for another 2 weeks... Some of the kids coming back from the show were told to find another barn.... Ug.. Barn doors closed and they weren't let back in... It is a scarey time as we had 700 riders in Deschute weekend before last.... so far so good though.

4. Lotsapaints

Lotsapaints Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    Paso Robles, CA
    I have some Salmons cooking due to hatch on Saturday I wont be home until Sunday and some of my Golden Cuckoos, Blue Coppers and Delawares....I have 3 more batches and then the wait.....I'm hoping that I have some to sell at the dual show in October my first batch of Birchens were a bust I have yellow shanks and I took pictures but I don't have them all loaded .....the next ones are much better and I have more cooking hoping to get 2 trios and the eggs were a nice color I haven't taken any pictures of those when I get home I hope I have time still have pens to get finished looks like my stalls are booked up with chickies for a while......

5. geebs

Sep 28, 2008
    VC: I think it would be fun to do an purposeful experiment getting to "golden salmon" aka duckwing/partridge/wildtype-brown... whichever you want to call it... using the three birds mentioned.. You know someone has already crossed them to the bitter end.. It would sure be nice to have some data on the end result wouldn't it...

LOP: I will be expecting to see the chickies. [​IMG] Funny that was one of the first "sports" I hatched.. ha ha.. They all went for meat.. I thought they were mutts... but I do know how I got there... (learning experience)

Last edited: Jun 2, 2011
  6. Mountain Mel

Dec 31, 2010
    Castle Rock, WA
    I was hard at work tonight when that Lowrider song came on the radio...guess who I was thinking of???lol
    Poor Pink, she misses our late night sessions..Ivy should be here...she gets home from work late & has a glass of wine & logs on...but she sure missed out this morning!

7. geebs

Sep 28, 2008
    Yep she sure did Mel... Nice song... Ya know the music from deliverance... Ha ha ... or any banjo music...LOL [​IMG] Well that is about it for me tonight... I am seeing double... Catch ya in the morning... up with the roosters... (only cuz I got a Serama roo in the house)... don't even ask.... [​IMG]

8. Mountain Mel

Dec 31, 2010
    Castle Rock, WA
    Quote:Why do you ask??? Are you single?

9. Mountain Mel

Dec 31, 2010
    Castle Rock, WA
    Quote:When you are thinking all this "Deliverance" stuff, remember that I am a bowhunter....hence, the Burt Reynolds type... don't confuse me with the Ned Beatty type...Oh, shoot...I sure do love my Marans chickens. [​IMG] Without them I would never have met all you fine folks! [​IMG] [​IMG] BYC is a big part of my life. I hope that doesn't change.. [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. berkeleysprings

berkeleysprings Chillin' With My Peeps

bert used a bow with a 20 lb pull and arrrow didnt even go threw lol lol dont u just love tv , i use a old mq32 with 29inch draw and 62 lb pull shoothin 2413 arrows and 125 grain thunderheads (fixed ) and im not climbing out the tree unless its a pass threw .... if u know what i mean mel

Quote:When you are thinking all this "Deliverance" stuff, remember that I am a bowhunter....hence, the Burt Reynolds type... don't confuse me with the Ned Beatty type...Oh, shoot...I sure do love my Marans chickens. [​IMG] Without them I would never have met all you fine folks! [​IMG] [​IMG] BYC is a big part of my life. I hope that doesn't change.. [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by