Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Wynette, Aug 7, 2010.

1. pinkchick

pinkchick "Ain't nuttin' like having da' blues"

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    Geebsie~ This photo is just for you...2 little lowridin blue copper babies. The girl stays with me, but the boy has a home waiting for him. I'm just waiting for this next hatch to see how many blues I get. I promised I would share 2 blue copper pullets out of this hatch with a very nice gentleman and he wants this little rooster to go with them. This little guy has the fuzziest shanks I have ever seen on a Marans that I have hatched out....Don would love this amount of feathering. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Goodness, Pink! [​IMG] Why must your TORTURE us like that?

What do you have them on, leaves? Interesting! The cockerel almost looks as if he is smiling!

3. pinkchick

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    Quote:I KNOW!!!!!!! Tell me about it!!!! [​IMG]

4. poularde

poularde Hatching mode

Feb 7, 2010
    Puyallup, Wa.
    Those two are so adorable! I want a blue low rider. [​IMG]

5. pinkchick

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    Quote:Sorry Wynette! No torture intended.....just thought our dear geebsie needed some lowridin photos this morning. [​IMG]

As far as what they are on.....they are on chips....like big playground chips....it just so happens to be where mamma wanted to sit...(in my, I guess you could call it a tack room) ..so I put an X pen around her and put a temp. top over it, she was happy as could be, so I left her there. She is one of my 4 Marans that went broody and I stuffed some 2-3 week old chicks under her. She has been happy as a clam. She took them outside in the big pasture yesterday with the goaties. Too fun to watch....the little Delaware chicks that she has ride on her back. [​IMG]

6. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    Too much loose feather for me... but I like the short legs... (has someone cut him off at the knee!!!) .... He certainly would shorted up some long legged female.....

7. pinkchick

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    Yes they are pretty fluffy huh......but they sure are cute. Thanks friends!

Geebs~ these girls from GFF are producing the lowriders I've been getting...including that cockerel I posted yesterday. Will have to get ya a photo of the cockerel I am keeping from the same hatch as these 2 blue copper chicks. Definately not a lowrider and definately not fluffy. [​IMG]

8. Raven1

Raven1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    Carthage, TN
    OK Kim here are the 4 babies from you I took them from far off with zoom so they wouldn't crowd me.
    This is my GnarlesX Chloe I just love this guy

[​IMG]
    Here is the Gnarles x GFF very nice very dark but copper coming in

[​IMG]
    This is my Bill girl she is just stunning in person

[​IMG]
    Here is another Gnarles X Bill daughter but I am calling a hennyroo at the moment looked girly but now sort of boyish jury is still out

[​IMG]
    I love them no matter what but would like opinions (honest no sugar ones)

9. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Quote:I think they'll tighten up after juvie molt....

10. pinkchick

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    Quote:Raven~ They are huge! What are you feeding them? Protein shakes? [​IMG] Just kidding! As far as I can tell they are looking great! Photos are a fuzzy to me, but no big deal I can see enough of them that I am very happy with how they are turning out. That Gnarles boy sure is coppering up isn't he? [​IMG]

Yep.....just like Debbi said yesterday...Bill puts his signature on his babies for sure! That Bill pullet is going to be a knockout! I love her!

And your hennyroo is a roo. [​IMG] He also has that signature head and neck from Bill...[​IMG] looks like my Lil' Bill and looks like he is getting nice copper as well. How about the Bill girl is she getting any copper or is she looking dark?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by