Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Wynette, Aug 7, 2010.

1. Ivywoods

Ivywoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2010
    Hiawatha, KS
    Just trying to catch up here.[​IMG]

Pink-You gotta stop it with the lowriders. Stop right now! You are making me start to like them.[​IMG]

Goats licking your face? How about playing king of the hill on your back, or thinking they are basketballs and you are the backboard.[​IMG] Perhaps it would be easier to move the chicken up to YOUR level, instead of you down to theirs!

Bowhunting guys- I shoot a Hoyt 28 1/2in, 59 lb draw, carbon arrow with 3 blade 100gr. muzzys. So what "type" does that make me?[​IMG]

Incubator is full of eggs. Praying for now power outages![​IMG]

2. AyeUpChuck

AyeUpChuck Striving for Self-Sufficiency

Mar 7, 2011
    Beavercreek, OR
    Quote:[​IMG] !!!!! I'm setting some today and then more next week [​IMG]

Really excited about the upcoming weeks! Luckily the hatch dates are going to be before the wedding I'm making a cake for and serving in.

And yes Geebs! I will post pics of some of the cakes and fondant work on a new thread so it doesn't clog up space in here.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2011
  3. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    link me

4. Debbi

Debbi Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Quote:Mornin Kim. Those blues are darling little chunkers. I've never seen Marans with the short legs...they are sweeties. If you saw some of my chicks you'd think they were crossed with an ostrich, they're legs are so long in their gangly phase. I'm getting a late start as I got a call from the post office and my long awaited blue Marans hatching eggs came in from Helen Byers. I'm turning my incubator on for these babies! I've also been adopted as mommy by a wee teensy tiny baby kitty. It was found yesterday morning in the barn all alone...the night before there were quite a few coyotes out...i think the mama got snagged. I think I'm lucky if this little one is 10 days old. But it purrs and purrs and purrs whenever i hold it.

Which by the way...is your waiting list really getting that short? That's awesome! I'm not in any hurry if my name is still on your list. I know how it is when girls get to molting. Along with my blue eggs from Texas I'm putting in some of the black copper eggs from my pen finally. My bcms didn't seem to want to lay at all with all the crazy cool weather and rain.

Oh...by the way...what size leg bands do your big boys wear? I asked if anyone else had any big marans boys and think I got lost in the thread yesterday. I put a goose band on my 3 and a half month old black copper cockerel....and I am going to have to take that off soon since he is outgrowing that. Hes a giant

Thanks Vicki! I don't normally have the lowrider situation going on here....I like them tall, very wide/broad shouldered, and built like a tank. I'm going to keep this little lowrider blue copper girl and put my Bill boy over her to lengthen the leg of the offspring.
    Of course you're still on my egg list, 2 folks in front of ya. [​IMG]
    I use size 11 bands for my boys and don't have any issues with them, but I am thinking of getting bigger ones. I was looking at Bill's legs last night and thought to myself.."those #11's wouldn't fit Bill for anything." For the girls I use size 9.
    Good luck with your kitty!

[​IMG] Are you using the "Bandettes"?? I put 11s on my girls and 12s on my boys, and they all either popped off or I had to cut them off! Good thing about having a small flock, I know who everyone is still. Now, when the others get out there...[​IMG]

5. Ivywoods

Ivywoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2010
    Hiawatha, KS
    I need to order some bands before long. I'm still trying to decide what I want to order. I'm planning to order from Smith's poultry, and I'm thinking the numbered bands that are metal and adjustable would work best for me, but I'm not sure.[​IMG]

I think the toe punch thing would work well and in the long run be the most economical, but I'm just not sure I can do that, and I wonder how visible it is without catching the bird and looking at their feet.

6. Debbi

May 2, 2010
    Missouri
    I thought about the metal ones too. Got my Bandettes from Cutler Supply. I like the differently colored and numbered ones, but the changes in season seem to weaken the plastic. Now colored and numbered metal ones may work...maybe in goose size like Vicki has?? [​IMG]

7. Mountain Mel

Mountain Mel Pinkchicks' Neighbor

Dec 31, 2010
    Castle Rock, WA
    Quote:[​IMG] Oh !~ You said "Link"....my bad! [​IMG]

8. Debbi

May 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Quote:[​IMG] Oh !~ You said "Link"....my bad! [​IMG]

[​IMG] Wow! Is it night already?? [​IMG]

9. Mountain Mel