Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Wynette, Aug 7, 2010.

1. PHarris985

PHarris985 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2011
    Oregon
    Quote:I want some. Do you sell eggs for these Marans? My incubator is full right now with BCM's and White Marans. In a month I'd like to get Blue Copper eggs.

2. pinkchick

pinkchick "Ain't nuttin' like having da' blues"

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    Quote:I want some. Do you sell eggs for these Marans? My incubator is full right now with BCM's and White Marans. In a month I'd like to get Blue Copper eggs.

Thanks! Yes, I sell hatching eggs, but right now I am not selling any....I am sure the girls are getting ready to molt as they have slowed down considerably in production and egg color is lightening. They will be a year old next month, I suspect that it will be fall before I resume shipping eggs. I also have about 6 folks left on my waiting list from this spring that I was not able to ship out eggs to..so before I ship out any more I must fill their requests first. I love sharing them, everyone needs a little blues now and again.

Also...in the fall I will not be using the rooster (a pure Davis Blue Copper) that I am currently using that produced the chicks I just posted photos of....I will be replacing him with my Lil' Bill (a blue copper who is not a pure Davis bird- he's 5/8ths Davis though [​IMG]) so my flock of breeders will be pure Davis Blue Copper hens and a pure Davis Splash Copper hen, Black Copper hens that I purchased from GreenFire Farms as chicks last summer from Bev's flocks that she took to Paul at GFF and my Lil' Bill who is the product of my big Bill, who I have no clue of where he came from....I can only tell you that he hatched from the darkest egg I have ever seen in person and he is a huge lover. His only issues in my book that I can see (and I overlook them...because crossed over the right hens...these issues can be easily resolved in his offspring) are clean shanks and a shorter than preferred back.

LOL after all of that....I would be happy to add you to the waiting list for eggs if you are still interested. If so, PM me you info and I will add you.

3. gilavina

gilavina Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2011
    Southeast Nebraska

Thanks! Yes, I sell hatching eggs, but right now I am not selling any....I am sure the girls are getting ready to molt as they have slowed down considerably in production and egg color is lightening. They will be a year old next month, I suspect that it will be fall before I resume shipping eggs. I also have about 6 folks left on my waiting list from this spring that I was not able to ship out eggs to..so before I ship out any more I must fill their requests first. I love sharing them, everyone needs a little blues now and again.

Also...in the fall I will not be using the rooster (a pure Davis Blue Copper) that I am currently using that produced the chicks I just posted photos of....I will be replacing him with my Lil' Bill (a blue copper who is not a pure Davis bird- he's 5/8ths Davis though [​IMG]) so my flock of breeders will be pure Davis Blue Copper hens and a pure Davis Splash Copper hen, Black Copper hens that I purchased from GreenFire Farms as chicks last summer from Bev's flocks that she took to Paul at GFF and my Lil' Bill who is the product of my big Bill, who I have no clue of where he came from....I can only tell you that he hatched from the darkest egg I have ever seen in person and he is a huge lover. His only issues in my book that I can see (and I overlook them...because crossed over the right hens...these issues can be easily resolved in his offspring) are clean shanks and a shorter than preferred back.

LOL after all of that....I would be happy to add you to the waiting list for eggs if you are still interested. If so, PM me you info and I will add you.

Mornin Kim. Those blues are darling little chunkers. I've never seen Marans with the short legs...they are sweeties. If you saw some of my chicks you'd think they were crossed with an ostrich, they're legs are so long in their gangly phase. I'm getting a late start as I got a call from the post office and my long awaited blue Marans hatching eggs came in from Helen Byers. I'm turning my incubator on for these babies! I've also been adopted as mommy by a wee teensy tiny baby kitty. It was found yesterday morning in the barn all alone...the night before there were quite a few coyotes out...i think the mama got snagged. I think I'm lucky if this little one is 10 days old. But it purrs and purrs and purrs whenever i hold it.

Which by the way...is your waiting list really getting that short? That's awesome! I'm not in any hurry if my name is still on your list. I know how it is when girls get to molting. Along with my blue eggs from Texas I'm putting in some of the black copper eggs from my pen finally. My bcms didn't seem to want to lay at all with all the crazy cool weather and rain.

Oh...by the way...what size leg bands do your big boys wear? I asked if anyone else had any big marans boys and think I got lost in the thread yesterday. I put a goose band on my 3 and a half month old black copper cockerel....and I am going to have to take that off soon since he is outgrowing that. Hes a giant

4. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    Kim: that little lowrider is pocket size isn't it... he he he.... I know he is fluffed up because of our balmy 50 degree weather.. Man are we in for it this weekend... the water wings will be used in the pool... It is spost to hit the 80's.. Good shipping weather till then.

5. AyeUpChuck

AyeUpChuck Striving for Self-Sufficiency

Mar 7, 2011
    Beavercreek, OR
    Quote:[​IMG] !!!!

Glad Wynette said that I was wondering if the fluff was due to juvenile stage. They are seriously cute Kim. I can't wait to get some decent weather this weekend. I think I feel another sunburn coming on. When I let the chucks out this morning and the sun was shining they looked at me as if to say "well its about bleedin time!"

6. snowbird

snowbird Overrun With Chickens

May 28, 2010
    Wolverine Country
    Quote:They all look good from what I can see. I really like the type on the black pullet, how is the shank and feet feathering ?

7. pinkchick

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    Quote:Thanks! Yes, I sell hatching eggs, but right now I am not selling any....I am sure the girls are getting ready to molt as they have slowed down considerably in production and egg color is lightening. They will be a year old next month, I suspect that it will be fall before I resume shipping eggs. I also have about 6 folks left on my waiting list from this spring that I was not able to ship out eggs to..so before I ship out any more I must fill their requests first. I love sharing them, everyone needs a little blues now and again.

Mornin Kim. Those blues are darling little chunkers. I've never seen Marans with the short legs...they are sweeties. If you saw some of my chicks you'd think they were crossed with an ostrich, they're legs are so long in their gangly phase. I'm getting a late start as I got a call from the post office and my long awaited blue Marans hatching eggs came in from Helen Byers. I'm turning my incubator on for these babies! I've also been adopted as mommy by a wee teensy tiny baby kitty. It was found yesterday morning in the barn all alone...the night before there were quite a few coyotes out...i think the mama got snagged. I think I'm lucky if this little one is 10 days old. But it purrs and purrs and purrs whenever i hold it.

Which by the way...is your waiting list really getting that short? That's awesome! I'm not in any hurry if my name is still on your list. I know how it is when girls get to molting. Along with my blue eggs from Texas I'm putting in some of the black copper eggs from my pen finally. My bcms didn't seem to want to lay at all with all the crazy cool weather and rain.

Oh...by the way...what size leg bands do your big boys wear? I asked if anyone else had any big marans boys and think I got lost in the thread yesterday. I put a goose band on my 3 and a half month old black copper cockerel....and I am going to have to take that off soon since he is outgrowing that. Hes a giant

Thanks Vicki! I don't normally have the lowrider situation going on here....I like them tall, very wide/broad shouldered, and built like a tank. I'm going to keep this little lowrider blue copper girl and put my Bill boy over her to lengthen the leg of the offspring.
    Of course you're still on my egg list, 2 folks in front of ya. [​IMG]
    I use size 11 bands for my boys and don't have any issues with them, but I am thinking of getting bigger ones. I was looking at Bill's legs last night and thought to myself.."those #11's wouldn't fit Bill for anything." For the girls I use size 9.

Good luck with your kitty!

8. gilavina

gilavina Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2011
    Southeast Nebraska
    Quote:Mornin Kim. Those blues are darling little chunkers. I've never seen Marans with the short legs...they are sweeties. If you saw some of my chicks you'd think they were crossed with an ostrich, they're legs are so long in their gangly phase. I'm getting a late start as I got a call from the post office and my long awaited blue Marans hatching eggs came in from Helen Byers. I'm turning my incubator on for these babies! I've also been adopted as mommy by a wee teensy tiny baby kitty. It was found yesterday morning in the barn all alone...the night before there were quite a few coyotes out...i think the mama got snagged. I think I'm lucky if this little one is 10 days old. But it purrs and purrs and purrs whenever i hold it.

Thanks Vicki! I don't normally have the lowrider situation going on here....I like them tall, very wide/broad shouldered, and built like a tank. I'm going to keep this little lowrider blue copper girl and put my Bill boy over her to lengthen the leg of the offspring.
    Of course you're still on my egg list, 2 folks in front of ya. [​IMG]
    I use size 11 bands for my boys and don't have any issues with them, but I am thinking of getting bigger ones. I was looking at Bill's legs last night and thought to myself.."those #11's wouldn't fit Bill for anything." For the girls I use size 9.

Good luck with your kitty!

those are the size I use on my girls and boys and it works well...but this boy...I don't know...I wonder if I'll even be able to band him here in a couple of weeks. luckily he's easy to identify, but i never thought he'd have legs this thick

Wow...i've moved up on the list faster than I thought...or maybe this whole year has kind of just gotten away from me...argh....me thinks that might be it

9. pinkchick

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    Quote:Yes he is the perfect pocket size chickie....for now. LOL! Yeah..it's been a little chilly and they are puffed a little from that, but the fluff at his thigh and belly area...I love that!

Can't wait for this weekend's anticipated weather...but I will only believe it when I see it. [​IMG] Sun is peeking out right now but that's only after it rained for the last 2 hours. I ain't talking drizzle either....I'm talking good old fashioned rain, and to think that I am staying home today for the sole purpose of working in the garden. Looks like the kooky chooks may get a little quality time with me today in their coops where it is dry if it continues to rain. Poor chooks. *insert onry grin here*

10. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    Your little guy is such a diviation from the other offspring... Such a round head and such... So cute.. He almost looks bantam.... Like my little cochins I used to have..with all the fluffy legs.. and even the same color... (love those cochins!!)

Last edited: Jun 2, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by