Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

That $10 doesn't make you a better breeder, person, etc is just gives you a little more access to help, if you need it and possibly first hand news of when the shows etc are gonna be happening.

The $10 membership fee allows the club to organize, advertise, and promote Marans. It also allows a newsletter to be produced so relevant and educational information can be shared. It allows the club to provide prizes for people showing Marans and their eggs. This is also the club that managed to get Marans officially recognized by the APA and admitted to the Standard - with two varieties so far and a third one in progress. Seems to me like it is $10 very well spent for anyone serious about working with Marans.
hmm.png

Since when are club members using BYC to promote joining clubs? Sad I cant come to this forum anymore without having to be harrassed about why one 'should' have to join some club.... I am done with this garbage. One of the reasons people have been turned off initially by the Marans threads (previous ones have been closed) was due to the snarkey attitudes and snobbiness. If this is how its gonna be again, good riddance.

Curious Chicken~
I agree that she does not need layer pellet at this age and would only need it just before she starts to lay. I myself never feed layer pellet and only use all purpose poultry as it is a tad higher in protien and also oyster shell free because the roosters do not need the extra calcium as it is not good for their kidneys.

Have you tried using a bit of bag balm on the area so that the pooh would be inclined to slide off rather than stick? When I have chicks that are messy or get pasty butt, I smear bag balm on the area so it can't stick. Someone here in the thread gave me this info and it works great.
Also.....does she carry her tail up or is it angled more downward toward the ground? Sometimes, I get birds that do not carry their tails up and the tail itself is the culprit for dirty areas as it does not allow the pooh to leave freely and some can get stuck on the tail....which in return smears back up against their behinds and starts the process over again so that the next elimination has something to get stuck to.

Oh and 6.5 week old photos of chicks for sexing should be great and we should be able to tell you what they are by this age and like DMRippy said......we like photos!
big_smile.png

Bag Balm! What a great idea.
Curious Chicken~
I agree that she does not need layer pellet at this age and would only need it just before she starts to lay. I myself never feed layer pellet and only use all purpose poultry as it is a tad higher in protien and also oyster shell free because the roosters do not need the extra calcium as it is not good for their kidneys.

Have you tried using a bit of bag balm on the area so that the pooh would be inclined to slide off rather than stick? When I have chicks that are messy or get pasty butt, I smear bag balm on the area so it can't stick. Someone here in the thread gave me this info and it works great.
Also.....does she carry her tail up or is it angled more downward toward the ground? Sometimes, I get birds that do not carry their tails up and the tail itself is the culprit for dirty areas as it does not allow the pooh to leave freely and some can get stuck on the tail....which in return smears back up against their behinds and starts the process over again so that the next elimination has something to get stuck to.

Oh and 6.5 week old photos of chicks for sexing should be great and we should be able to tell you what they are by this age and like DMRippy said......we like photos!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom