Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

Hi!
frow.gif

We are new to the world of Marans. (had some cuckoo's in the past, actually) Friends of our hatched 11 babies for fun for their daughters on Mothers Day. They'll be coming to live with us this weekend! So excited! They'll join our backyard flock of 6
5 of them are Wheaten Marans, 5 are Black Copper Marans & 1 is an Americauna (we think, some issues with translation from the breeder to the hatcher to us ;) I'll post on another thread to figure out what she is :)
of the 5 Wheatens, one is darker, as pictured left & the other 4 look just like the one on the right. Looking for confirmation that the darker one is a roo & we have 4 girls?!

The BCM all look pretty much the same.. some bigger combs, but not by much! I will post pictures this weekend, once they are here! We are city farmers & can't keep the roo's - so fingers crossed we have lots of girls!

Yup! The dark one is a boy!
They look just like Two of mine, same size and everything. Does your Male have a white patch on the middle of his back?
Mine does and I'm worried that might be the dreaded white fluff that is not wanted on Wheatens.

Congrats on the beauties!

well I just got a bit of a shock. Last week they didn't have a very good hatch rate on the Silver Marans, so they said they would try again and get back to me when they thought they would have a decent order. Well...they just emailed me and I should get them tomorrow! Not as many as I'd have liked, but definitely more than I would have gotten going with hatching eggs. Now here's to hoping there are no delays in shipping and that the post office calls me right away so I can have someone get them for me! I don't want the babies to wait for food and water any longer than they have to.

well I just got a bit of a shock. Last week they didn't have a very good hatch rate on the Silver Marans, so they said they would try again and get back to me when they thought they would have a decent order. Well...they just emailed me and I should get them tomorrow! Not as many as I'd have liked, but definitely more than I would have gotten going with hatching eggs. Now here's to hoping there are no delays in shipping and that the post office calls me right away so I can have someone get them for me! I don't want the babies to wait for food and water any longer than they have to.
celebrate.gif
I think I'd call in sick and go get them myself!
gig.gif
Congrats!!

celebrate.gif
I think I'd call in sick and go get them myself!
gig.gif
Congrats!!
haha I so wish, but there is absolutely no one to cover my shift tomorrow, besides being a bit short staffed at the moment, we also have several people gone on vacation. I think if I luck out my mom will have tomorrow off, so she will be around, and can bring them by work so I can inspect the munchkins. Otherwise, they have a notorious habit of the chicks either coming in really late at night or really early in the morning and they know to call me anytime, so, I might be able to get them. Just want my bases covered, esp since I've been waiting for quite some time for the silvers!

well crap!!! I let my phone battery run out and just started charging it and got a text from Anna. That roo and a blue pullet and the splash I was gonna get from her got killed by a predator overnight! What a shame, they were lovely birds! I think there still might be two blues left tho!

I am looking for some Birchens, I had bought eggs several months ago and had a good hatch. However, the 4 cockerels that I hatched, all have a lot of copperish bleed through on the backs. The pullets look nice but do not want to breed with the Cockerel that has this much copper. Also very sparse leg feathering. I bought from 2 different sources so I cannot say for sure (my fault for not seperating) which the cockerels came from, but I will say that 4 of the pullets are very nice, and the others are ok. Eggs for hatching I should have said.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom