Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

Enamel White....

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/381905/white-faced-black-spanish/40

Positive Enamel White: is where enamel white is in an area on the face or ear-lobes where it is suppose to be red.
I cannot find a photo of a bird with this fault. Just imagine a spot of enamel white, like the white on the WFBS, that waxy white looking skin, smack dab in the middle of your Marans normally red face, lobes or wattles. This would be a no-no.

This is what I consider a pale spot and this is what some of my girls have had and it goes away.

Here is another pullet that had a pale white-ish tinge to her ear-lobes. She to regained her red color.

Thanks, Pink!!

The white my girl has, and that roo had, isn't even as much as the bottom pic girl.
It isn't noticeable unless you pick the bird up and spread the ear lobe out.

What IS it?? Yours grew out of it, never to be seen again??
Not showing up in the next generation, either - ?? -

Bummer on that - the roo I got rid of was lovely....but good to know!
I'll leave her in the layer pen until I see if it goes away!!

Donna
You gave me a total of 30 eggs - 11 cuckoos, 4 blue ameracaunas, 6 olive eggers and 9 Black. ?? I think..
I think all the cuckoos have hatched...(I still had some popping out of eggs this morning.)

I had 4 of my olive egger eggs in there. That may have been the chipmunks.. Her babies are all ready to party right out of the shelll; they all have eyeliner and mascara on!
big_smile.png

I am getting bands this weekend and hope that I will be able to tell Princess's babies apart (My olive egger)

I am not worried about telling the marans apart. I am almost done the pen for the Marans. When they are done in the brooder, they will all go there till I can sex them. I will worry about the rest as time goes by.

I will hopefully be able to post the final tally on hatch tonight when I get home..
Good luck to everyone expecting!

Patricia

Donna
You gave me a total of 30 eggs - 11 cuckoos, 4 blue ameracaunas, 6 olive eggers and 9 Black. ?? I think..
I think all the cuckoos have hatched...(I still had some popping out of eggs this morning.)

I had 4 of my olive egger eggs in there. That may have been the chipmunks.. Her babies are all ready to party right out of the shelll; they all have eyeliner and mascara on!
big_smile.png

I am getting bands this weekend and hope that I will be able to tell Princess's babies apart (My olive egger)

I am not worried about telling the marans apart. I am almost done the pen for the Marans. When they are done in the brooder, they will all go there till I can sex them. I will worry about the rest as time goes by.

I will hopefully be able to post the final tally on hatch tonight when I get home..
Good luck to everyone expecting!

Patricia
The Blue eggs were Lavender/Lavender Split Ameraucanas. Did they hatch?

The Olive Eggers are going to be hard to tell from the marans, unless they all have pea combs and muffls.... that may not happen. The eggs will tell the tale.

Nothing hatching at my place today.... tomorrow I should have some action.

I have got to move some chicks around, well I have to move some big birds, then some pullets and THEN the chicks can be moved.
he.gif
tangled web..... Good thing hubby is going to stay home tomorrow. I can think and plan then move.

Well I am going to sell that Golden Cuckoo that hatched all black. I don't need to fight the gold. I see it cropping up in my chicks now....
th.gif
Must start over, dang. I think I am going to put my NICE splash cuckoo roo with hens that have feathered legs (I just have 1 or 2) and see what happens. I hatched some hopefully solid blue chicks.... only a couple had feathered legs.... IF ONLY ONE is a PULLET I am ok... maybe
hide.gif
if she is not hiding copper.

Just curious,
What can one sell French Cuckoo Maran chicks for? Roos and hens.
How about Black copper Marans?

I have a breeder who doesn't have time to mess with her 'extras' so she gives them to me to either keep or sell.
Just wondering what I could get from them if I decide to sell. The oldest ones are a month old now.

Last edited:
Snapped some quick pics today between rain storms!
Please let me know what you think!

Roo #1 - This guy is sparsely feathered - little tiny feathers, compared to my street sweepers

Back
Top Bottom