Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

Morning all
frow.gif

Vicki ~ Cute little pudge butts! The partridge striped chick in the last pic, is that a silver?

Kim ~ Good for you! That was very nice of him to send an extra dozen

Katelyn ~ I like #1 and #3 boys. Wish #1 had #3's feathering. We really need the Mr. Potato Head option of switching parts on these birds!!
gig.gif

So far, nothing has hatched here, but it is early day 21. I have never had a Marans egg hatch prior to day 21, so we'll see what happens today. I have two of mine rocking, and I thought I saw one of the Wheatens rocking too! C'mon Wheaties!!!!!!

Donna ~ Been out to the farm yet? What's your hatch status?

I really miss our Floridian friends! Lenette, Lisa, if you guys are lurking....HELLO!!!!
frow.gif

Morning all
frow.gif

Vicki ~ Cute little pudge butts! The partridge striped chick in the last pic, is that a silver?

Kim ~ Good for you! That was very nice of him to send an extra dozen

Katelyn ~ I like #1 and #3 boys. Wish #1 had #3's feathering. We really need the Mr. Potato Head option of switching parts on these birds!!
gig.gif

So far, nothing has hatched here, but it is early day 21. I have never had a Marans egg hatch prior to day 21, so we'll see what happens today. I have two of mine rocking, and I thought I saw one of the Wheatens rocking too! C'mon Wheaties!!!!!!

Donna ~ Been out to the farm yet? What's your hatch status?

I really miss our Floridian friends! Lenette, Lisa, if you guys are lurking....HELLO!!!!
frow.gif

I was just thinking about Lenette this morning and missing her too! I hope she is lurking and will stop in to say hi! And you are right...I haven't seen lisa for a while either!

Both the light ones and the darker partridge (or wild type pattern) are silvers. Silvers can hatch the lighter, that darker and look like regular cuckoos, depending on the line of birds. I've been recommended by the guy in the UK, when I can get my start to then only retain the lightest color chicks as they give the best coloring. But, just gotta get through this year first! haha

I am just curious - what would be the fair market price for a blue copper marans pullet? especially with strictly one breeders blood line?

I got my first marans egg a couple days ago from one of the pullets... and nothing... they are being just teases! and they are only 5 months old and the weather has been in the 80s lately - but they are being kept in the barn. Eggs have been pouring out of the other hens (non marans). It was probably on the marans scale of 6 with darker speckles!

Oh well... I am still waiting... :)
As far as I'm concerned, I would base it on the individual's quality, age, and egg color if she is laying. It also depends on where you are. Up here, laying hens can sell from anywhere from between $15.00 - $35.00 for just layers. If it has show potential, you might want to hold onto it a tad longer and possibly get more. As for the pullets laying, mine started out at 5 months too with my first clutch, and they were spotty with their laying. Once they had been laying for about a month, the eggs came at a more dependable flow. That said, mine started laying in November, and laid clean on through until the next August! Then, they all took a loooong break!

I was just thinking about Lenette this morning and missing her too! I hope she is lurking and will stop in to say hi! And you are right...I haven't seen lisa for a while either!

Both the light ones and the darker partridge (or wild type pattern) are silvers. Silvers can hatch the lighter, that darker and look like regular cuckoos, depending on the line of birds. I've been recommended by the guy in the UK, when I can get my start to then only retain the lightest color chicks as they give the best coloring. But, just gotta get through this year first! haha
Cool! Sounds like a project. I can tell you this, at least what I have found with the Silkies. That wild type is very dominant! Don't know if it works the same for Marans, but I can breed a Partridge, or one that is wild type marked at hatch, to anything, and still get Partridge!!

Vicki~ Congrats on the chicks! What a nice surprise! If you don't mind me asking....what gives them the spottie and chipmunky looks? What Marans varieties are in them again to make them the Silvers?

Cool! Sounds like a project. I can tell you this, at least what I have found with the Silkies. That wild type is very dominant! Don't know if it works the same for Marans, but I can breed a Partridge, or one that is wild type marked at hatch, to anything, and still get Partridge!!
I can't get used to your new avatar! I'm like who is this!? hahaha I go by visual and know who is who based on that haha.

wild type does seem to be more dominant with most breeds, but I'm excited to see how they turn out and when I do matings to see what I get. I'll be double timing the photo journey on these bubs. I'm going to band all the darker patterned ones so I can track them as they develop.

Debbi~ You still in lockdown? Any one knocking and rocking?
*edited because I'm a ninny and didn't see that you already posted an update.....please disregard*

I woke to 2 BLRW's this morning. 1 Marans egg has a large pip in it and looks like it is going to be crusty. Another Marans egg has a pip. 2 Barnie eggs are pipped. Nothing in the Olive eggs yet and I think 3 of the Marans eggs that are in there quit. We will see.

Wonder whats up at Donna's?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom