Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

Look what the USPS brought today - 2 different shipments - Splash and Black Coppers. Hopefully I'll re-join the ranks of Marans owners in a few weeks.
fl.gif

My CM doesn't lay "chocolate" eggs, but to make up for it, I think she's a double yolker. Since she started laying about a month ago, I get a double yolk egg at least once a week sometime more often. Is this a thing with Marans or is she "special".

Also, she doesn't cluck like the other chickens in my flock, she moans. It's adorable but makes her sound like she's miserable all the time. Is that a Marans things too? I've never had them before.

My CM doesn't lay "chocolate" eggs, but to make up for it, I think she's a double yolker.  Since she started laying about a month ago, I get a double yolk egg at least once a week sometime more often.  Is this a thing with Marans or is she "special".  

Also, she doesn't cluck like the other chickens in my flock, she moans.  It's adorable but makes her sound like she's miserable all the time.  Is that a Marans things too?  I've never had them before.

I think any chicken can lay a double yolker usually pullet do it. they are still learning the whole egg laying thing.

I bought some Black Copper Marans eggs for my incubator. When I put them in I put in a couple of my Easter Egger and Barred Rock hens eggs in with them. Today is day 20 and the first one out came out of one of the EE eggs. I have 2 Marans roos in my flock. Can anybody help? The hen in the first pic is my EE. Thanks

Roo 1 and EE hen

Roo 2

Chick

I bought some Black Copper Marans eggs for my incubator. When I put them in I put in a couple of my Easter Egger and Barred Rock hens eggs in with them. Today is day 20 and the first one out came out of one of the EE eggs. I have 2 Marans roos in my flock. Can anybody help? The hen in the first pic is my EE. Thanks Roo 1 and EE hen Roo 2 Chick .
not sure I understand what you are asking. that first roo is not any correct color of Marans and neither is the second roo. they are crosses of some sort. the chick seems to have feathered legs so is probably going to be an olive Egger. what other roos do you have?

I know the Roos aren't correct color Im not trying to breed to standard or anything. my chickens are for my own use i was just trying to figure out which of the 2 Roos fathered the chick if theres any way of telling by the pics. these are the only 2 roos besides my really young Black Coppers that are in a different pen.

Back
Top Bottom