Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

just reread my first post and realized I didn't put my question in there lol. its been a long day lol.

not sure how you would tell. the blue roo can sire black chicks. both roos look like they are barred so that would not help you either. the silver barred roo I think has only one copy of the barring gene so he would only pass that long to about half the chicks. if the other roo is barred same thing. does the chick have a spot on its head?

Yay, I have BC Marans again! Since a coyote took our Penny last year, I have missed my chocolate eggs! By the way, the chicks are BCMs. The mother is a Jersey Giant. She loves being a mom and has a total of six here - four are under her.

not sure how you would tell. the blue roo can sire black chicks. both roos look like they are barred so that would not help you either. the silver barred roo I think has only one copy of the barring gene so he would only pass that long to about half the chicks. if the other roo is barred same thing. does the chick have a spot on its head?
nope no spot, it seems to be colored like a black or blue. Guess wont be able to tell what it will look like till it start feathering

nope no spot, it seems to be colored like a black or blue. Guess wont be able to tell what it will look like till it start feathering

Maybe you got all girls
big_smile.png

The cuckoo maran you see in my profile picture was our friends hen. She sat on a clutch of eggs and 2 chicks survived. 1 chick hatched out of a light blue egg so we know that one wasn't hers. The other chick was born similar to jaybobren's chicks. She had no spot on her head and had the white. The only rooster they have is a RIR. Now at 8 weeks her white is all gone. My question is when these two breeds mix, does it become a sex link?

Are Marans good mothers and how often do they go broody? Are they a calm breed?

This is my 3 year old broody BC Marans.
She picked up leg mites while setting in the hay and her shank feathers broke off...anyway, she's an excellent mother and lets me pick her and the chicks up. Though, her sister has never been broody. She's doing a great job raising Black and White Javas. They cover a very large territory each day.

Back
Top Bottom