Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

not sure how you would tell. the blue roo can sire black chicks. both roos look like they are barred so that would not help you either. the silver barred roo I think has only one copy of the barring gene so he would only pass that long to about half the chicks. if the other roo is barred same thing. does the chick have a spot on its head?
this one came out with the head spot. it came from my Barred Rock's egg with one of the same 2 roos over her. lol, im gonna have some interesting looking chick when they start feathering out. good thing these chickens are just for eggs.

Hi all, I have a hard decision to make and need some help. I can only keep one rooster and I have 1 blue and 1 black marans roosters. Which one should I keep?

Last edited:
I am not sure if this is on topic; but, rainwater is safe for chickens, right? Should I treat it with any OTC supplement before they get into it?

New to chickens as of April 2013- I just got 2 BCM ( 1 wk ago). I just L.O.V.E. them! I'm guessing they are about 14 wks old. One instantly bonded with me. She comes to me each time I open the door. I pick her up, gently pet her before putting her back down on the ground. Although I think she would prefer me to just carry her around the back yard. She stays by my side and follows me for a little while. She will perch up on my shoulder or sit by my side on the bench. They dont tear up my garden like my others either. Such a gentle sweet breed. They make my other girls that I raised from 2 days old seem less than favorable. HA! I can't say enough good things about them and they haven't even started laying yet!

[/IMG]

my new birchen Marans pen is put together now so I will be able to do some testing soon! I should have blue and blacks. I have 3-4 hens in that pen I will sell just to clean it up better for this project.

Back
Top Bottom