Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

One more of Elvis

Quote: This guy I would cull too..... that light color in his hackles reflects a wheaten in his back ground. The copper on his breast is too much AND if he is black his under fluff is too light.... I really thought he might be a blue too....

It is VERY HARD to find a good roo to breed with. I have been growing them out for SEVERAL months and still not found a great replacement roo.....

i have raised up some blue coppers with black coppers and while they were young i could tell them apart easily (i never thought to mark them seperately)......... now they are grown i can not tell which ones is blue coppers (?) .
Is there any way to identify them at all ? I am color blind but color blind only means partial so some colors i can see some i can not .
Thanks for any help ,
James

This guy I would cull too..... that light color in his hackles reflects a wheaten in his back ground. The copper on his breast is too much AND if he is black his under fluff is too light.... I really thought he might be a blue too....

It is VERY HARD to find a good roo to breed with. I have been growing them out for SEVERAL months and still not found a great replacement roo.....
Is this what you'd see if the black came from blue copper breeding (the 25% black to expect of the 25-50-25 when mating blue to blue)? And why we should not use those black cock/erels in a BCM breeding program...that brownish underfluff?

Quote: I think that is the theory floating around. the blues breed to blacks cause the brown underfluff.

The lighter hackles are still a wheaten thing. The blues really should be the same color as blacks in the hackles, wings and saddles. I do see more halo effect in the blues and that makes me think there is something in the blue gene working with the copper on the blues.... but IDK.

I think that is the theory floating around. the blues breed to blacks cause the brown underfluff.

The lighter hackles are still a wheaten thing. The blues really should be the same color as blacks in the hackles, wings and saddles. I do see more halo effect in the blues and that makes me think there is something in the blue gene working with the copper on the blues.... but IDK.
Very generally I've seen lighter copper color on the blues compared to the blacks, but more halos on the blacks. Also the hackles on blue cock/erels being definitively lighter (but all one shade rather than a halo) than the wings and saddles. Small sampling though, as I'm new.

I have also noticed the bottoms of the hackles of the blues being dark blue instead of carrying the copper to the bottom, where with the blacks it's a clean line of color from hackle to body color. Is this the way the blues are supposed to be?

I have two marans- one started laying at 16 weeks on the dot, the other the very next day. You might be crazy, but not because you think that is a marans egg!
lau.gif

Hi good maran folks, I have a question. I have 3 BCM pullets that are just over 15 weeks old. I found a beautiful egg today that I am sure is from one of them. I posted this on Facebook and am being told pretty much that I'm a liar or crazy bc marans don't lay that young. I was not expecting them too but found this egg.
Does this look like an egg that a barred rock, SLW, or production red would have layed?? They are the only other brown egg layers I have. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom