Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

I know this is a fuzzy picture but you can see thesize difference. These 2 Marans are the same age. 9 weeks. I've had runts and slow growers but never this big of a difference. Has anyone else ever had one this small ?
Not that different. Some chicks I slid under a broody GLW have some size difference (the ones on the outside weren't as warm or ?? I don't know). I wouldn't keep the little one as a breeder but if it's a pullet maybe she will catch up enough to be in a layer only flock.

I have quite a few Marans. She will be fine in the layer flock. She is so darn cute. Even if she doesn't get much bigger. All of the slow growers I've had in the past, caught up. She might too.

Struggling with attaching an image so please excuse me if this posts multiple times...

I would love some feedback from those who are familiar with the breed on my 2 French Marans roosters. I don't think my blue "Oliver" has correct conformation and am thinking that his comb would be a fault. But what about my black "Elvis"? I love my sweet boys either way but am curious about whether or not Elvis would be a good bird to breed? They are 9 months old, by the way.
Thanks for your help.
[/IMG]w.backyardchickens.com/content/type/61/id/6116604/width/200/height/400[/IMG][/IMG]

Just read what you said. Not sure what was going on, but can imagine. I don't know why in general some show people (Whether chickens dogs,whatever) have to be like that. I love the Marans. We have a 5 month old Rooster with our group of egg layers. Pretty Boy is just that and while he probably has no show value..He is GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Linda

Back
Top Bottom