Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

I am excited! I got to go roo shopping today! They were even mine LOL. No worries introducing new blood. I picked 4 nice roos 1 blue 3 black, 2 are more Mahogany colored and 2 have the halo. I am hoping the halo will continue to produce pullets with nice collars. Well after quarantine we will fine out
celebrate.gif
Glad I kept a few more hens than I expected..... I see 2 pens in my future..... SPLASH ANYONE?????
So glad for you! It is scary adding new blood with this breed, sometimes things don't crop up until the F'2's as I am finding out.........

Quote:
I will check their toe cuts tomorrow and see where they came from. I mark them by roo usually. I introduced a new roo but he was not in the pen long... I didn't like what I saw.

I still have a few more floating around the farm too. I might need to look harder at them now and cull. I didn't want to be too quick if they looked ok.

The best part is she grew out about 30-50 marans roos so I had a good amount to pick from. She is going to keep me informed as the younger one mature and let me know if she gets any more good looking roos. She has a good amount she can sell. I know if I sell some pullets and someone wants a roo I will send them her way for sure.

In your avatar your chicks are already roosting, what age are they?

I normally don't provide them a place to roost until they are 6 weeks old and I am moving them into a coop. Does introducing them early make it seamless when they move into a coop? I just hear so many people with problems that their chicks won't roost.
Interesting, the chicks I raised in a brooder always had something to perch on, even if it was a log and they took to the adult perches like nobodies business. The ones I let the broody mama raise had a hard time figuring out the roost situation - they slept on top of the nesting boxes until we replaced a fallen perch, then they moved up there with all the other hens. I think they just wanted to live the rest of their lives in the brooder.

Blues are HARD to find. Unless you mean blue coppers.
'tis true. I have pure Blue Marans, they have just started to lay and color is pretty good.

Funny thing, I think the Black Coppers are just gorgeous...but I don't care for the blue coppers at all. However, the solid blue...to me is just as pretty as the Black Copper!
love.gif

I need to get some pics of my Blues; I just got started with them last year, but they are here to stay.

'tis true. I have pure Blue Marans, they have just started to lay and color is pretty good.

Funny thing, I think the Black Coppers are just gorgeous...but I don't care for the blue coppers at all. However, the solid blue...to me is just as pretty as the Black Copper!
love.gif

I need to get some pics of my Blues; I just got started with them last year, but they are here to stay.
Please post some pictures.. Another color I think is pretty in Birds is Lavender. ... My friend has English Buff Ops and she has Lavender... oh so pretty

Back
Top Bottom