Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

My sis is pretty good at puters, but they all live up toward Seattle.
She did tell me to NOT get Windows 8 that she hated it, and she had a hard time getting it to function, it was not user friendly and she is good at puters as I said...so she told me to NOT get it.
I have not had the energy to deal with it...it is just sitting here...looks nice though
lau.gif

I hate Windows 8.

Cuckoo Silver Duckwing Marans

What a pretty bird. the Cuckoo Silver Duckwing ( e+ e+ S/S B/B ). Page 186 in Genetics of Chicken Colours-The Basics). Tho it doesn't exist ( that I know of) in Marans. ...Hum...I was thinking...If one got a Silver Salmon (e+/e+ S/S ar/ar) female and a male Platinum Cuckoo Marans ( E/E or ER/ER S/S B/B with double recessive gene ) Here is the website of a English breeder who calls them Silver Marans , Take your pick of names: http://www.artandverse.com/marans.html As I said, take these two varieties and crossed them, selecting out the EE and ER birds for pure e+, It could be done. Would need a SS female to make sure it was pure SS as the Males might hide other color genes. And a Platinum male so one could make sure the resultant male chicks were pure for Silver. ( no creaminess in the white areas). One could check for purity when winnowing out the ER and EE by looking for correct male color and proper salmon on the females breast.
Just a thought,
Karen
Hum...that Platinum is real light. One could also do this with a standard Light Cuckoo. based on E/E or ER with S/S B/B . Since I don't understand ER ( Birchen) it seems to me it would be easier with EE ( Black).

I don't understand ER at all yet either -- keep hoping to find a good explanation somewhere! if you find one, please share!!

Should a black copper marans chick have a white spot on it's head?
Edit: it's not a bcm... Just looked at the shell label. Whoops

Just cuckoos......

This boy being the exception. I thought he was a blue cuckoo because he had the cuckoo white spot on his head, but there's not a barred feather anywhere on him.

Blue x Blue = 50% Blue / 25% Black / 25% Splash Blue x Splash = 50% Blue / 50% Splash Blue x Black = 50% Blue / 50% Black Splash x Black = 100% Blue Black x Black = 100% Black Splash x Splash = 100% Splash.

With this chart is it always the rooster that is first or does it matter??

Blue x Blue = 50% Blue / 25% Black / 25% Splash Blue x Splash = 50% Blue / 50% Splash Blue x Black = 50% Blue / 50% Black Splash x Black = 100% Blue Black x Black = 100% Black Splash x Splash = 100% Splash.

With this chart is it always the rooster that is first or does it matter??
It doesn't matter which is the rooster and which is the hen.

Hi,
I just read in Exhibition Poultry that White Marans were accepted in Jan. by the APA.
woot.gif

How and where did this happen? I had thought Cuckoo were next! Huge congrats to the whole Marans community!
celebrate.gif

Best,
Karen

Hi everyone! I'm basically a chicken newbie but as part of my starter flock, I got 4 FBCMs. I'm absolutely in love with them! They're just over 3 weeks old now. The pictures were taken on Saturday. I'm pretty sure that the top two are little pullets (Midnight and Luna) and the bottom right is definitely a little cockerel (our little boy Blue). His little comb and Wattles have reddened up since the picture and grown out more. The one on the bottom left I'm still not sure of yet (Jewel). They have so much personality and are so much fun!

Hi everyone! I'm basically a chicken newbie but as part of my starter flock, I got 4 FBCMs. I'm absolutely in love with them! They're just over 3 weeks old now. The pictures were taken on Saturday. I'm pretty sure that the top two are little pullets (Midnight and Luna) and the bottom right is definitely a little cockerel (our little boy Blue). His little comb and Wattles have reddened up since the picture and grown out more. The one on the bottom left I'm still not sure of yet (Jewel). They have so much personality and are so much fun!
Hello!! I love my FBCM's. They are very sweet quiet birds. Mine are always the first ones to bed at night....it's kind of funny. I agree with your assessment of the pullets and the little roo. I am leaning toward the bottom left one being a little roo also.

Back
Top Bottom