Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

Hey all I have a question I just recently purchased some blue copper and blue splash marans chicks is it normal for the to have a white feather on the end of there wings thanks
It is not unusual in the young ones. I believe that those who breed for the SOP cull them if the white remains beyond a certain age.....but I am not sure what that age is.

I have had them with the white wing feather on the blues and blacks, and it has always gone away. Hope this helps.

I hatched out a whole batch of Marans and we decided to keep one because we were positive it was a hen. Well it turned out to be a roo. It was really pretty but it got mean and attacked everybody and got into fights with my other rooster. Before we could kill him he disappeared. A coyote probably got him. I don't mean to say anything bad about this breed. They are very sweet as chicks and very colorful.

Last edited:
I hatched out a whole batch of Marans and we decided to keep one because we were positive it was a hen. Well it turned out to be a roo. It was really pretty but it got mean and attacked everybody and got into fights with my other rooster. Before we could kill him he disappeared. A coyote probably got him. I don't mean to say anything bad about this breed. They are very sweet as chicks and very colorful.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience. I personally have had many different breeds and of this breed the boys I like better than the girls! Young pullets aren't too bad but as hens mine can be a challenge to catch and prefer to keep their distance. My boys on the other hand I have carried around they are by my side at every turn..come inside for baths..just hang out a bit eating out of the dog bowl. Lol will let anyone caress their wattles and comb. I just haven't had one single thing to complain about with them.

You just always have to keep in mind that like any animal breed there's going to be "bad eggs".

Hi everyone...long time winter..anyways hope everyone is doing great, getting busy with the hatches & garden !!!
I am searching for Pure Black Marans, PM if anyone has any please.
In the mean time, I'll do my best to pop back on as I can.
I finally bought a new puter.
My old one has 1/2 a gig-a-RAM...the new one has 18.
18 whole ones, not halves.

The old one is 2001.............LOL
Yep, it is high time !
And XP is no longer supported.
sad.png

Now all's I gotta do is trick one of my kids into coming here & downloading all my files & photos, and uploading them on the new puter.

In the mean time, the new tower makes a dandy footstool !
idunno.gif

I am no computer whiz !

Like you my learning curve from xp to windows 8.1 was BAD...... I put classic shell on my computer and disabled the side windows to stop them from popping up all the time. Now I like my new puter..... I was a computer wiz at one point but I got left behind when my son was old enough to take over.

Hi there!
I was told when I bought these little cuties they were copper marans. I think one might be but via an internet search I think the other is maybe a splash maran? Any help would be greatly appreciated, oh and are they

pullets or cockerels?
Both Cockerels and one blue and one splash.

Can anyone tell me if these are Marans? I have one shot of what they looked like as little furry fluff balls and a couple of what they look like now.. are they hens? Oh gosh I hope they are hens! If one is a Roo ill have to rehome him. No roosters in St. Pete allowed!!
Thanks!

Can anyone tell me if these are Marans? I have one shot of what they looked like as little furry fluff balls and a couple of what they look like now.. are they hens? Oh gosh I hope they are hens! If one is a Roo ill have to rehome him. No roosters in St. Pete allowed!!
Thanks!
Is that some copper on the back of the neck of the one against the fence? That one is a little roo, I'm afraid.

Yes its copper.... SIGH
hit.gif
Thank you.. That's what I was afraid of. And "her" name is Charlotte. Guess I have to change it to Charlie. LOL
he.gif
. And "he" is the one always pushing Bonnie around and pecking at me when I go to change the feed and water and clean the coop. Looks like Charlie has to find a new home and I have to find a new friend for Bonnie. I don't want her all alone!!!!

Oh, BTW, what color eggs do the Marans lay? My husband is SO worried he will not like the "taste" of a speckled or brown egg. I cant wait for him to eat one and see that no matter the color a fresh egg is awesome!

Back
Top Bottom