Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

Lavender Marans?
yup. The folks I know who are working on them may not have them out quickly, but - they breed for excellent egg color & type, taking no "shortcuts" along the way. :)

OH - @DMRippy - I am not referring to you in any way here!
wink.png

Last edited:
What exactly is the standard these days for a BCM ? I've heard varying opinions. Should they have feathered shanks? Shouldn't they ? It's been my understanding that in Europe the standard is to have feathered shanks. My BCM hen carries this gene, and I wanted the expression to be more prominent and successfully achieved this by crossing her with my Buff Brahama. As you can see from the photo this little cockerel has the right color and well feathered shanks.

Last edited:
What exactly is the standard these days for a BCM ? I've heard varying opinions. Should they have feathered shanks? Shouldn't they ? It's been my understanding that in Europe the standard is to have feathered shanks. My BCM hen carries this gene, and I wanted the expression to be more prominent and successfully achieved this by crossing her with my Buff Brahama. As you can see from the photo this little cockerel has the right color and well feathered shanks.
The approved standard can be found in the APA's Standard of Perfection. Also, you can view a copy here:

http://maranschickenclubusa.com/SMF/index.php?board=20.0

(if it doesn't pull up for you, let me know & I'll copy/paste here).

In the U.S. Marans are to have feathered shanks.

But it's no longer a Marans.

Aren't white Marans supposed to hatch gray? I have white Marans eggs hatching, and they look BLACK, not gray. I hope the breeder didn't mistakenly send me the wrong eggs.
I believe they should hatch yellow/greyish. I think you got the wrong eggs :(

Here is another thought..... BCM can have a recessive white gene and if Mom and Dad both have it, you can hatch white chicks from the BCM pair. I wonder if Whites can have a recessive BCM gene?

Back
Top Bottom