Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

Blue? In this picture? The hen looks like a golden cuckoo possibly mixed with a blue. I am not an expert though. They look really extraordinary.

Thanks they are definitely extraordinary :3 that would be strange though if she is a golden blue cuckoo. I know there's a chance she's cuckoo though, the breeder said that she gave us blue copper, black copper, and cuckoo. I assumed the black copper and the cuckoo were the two that passed but I may be wrong. Stinker, called that because of her personality and the fact that when they were chicks she'd jump out and walk around the house. She lays beautiful dark chocolate eggs to a soft off chocolate color depending on the time of year. I hope someone can positively ID them though, because honestly I never thought about her not being blue copper :> thanks

These two are my only blue copper Marans, I am hoping that they will produce some babies this year:3
That pullet is not cuckoo. Blue is a leaky gene so the blue will be uneven sometimes. If you are refering to the color in the hackels, that is not barring. Barring is black and white. You are just seeing the black and copper in the hackles.

As @desertmarcy said the comb is really odd on the cockerel. Did he lose his point to frostbite or something? His comb does not look like a pea comb. Her comb is still small she is not laying yet (well when the pic was taken).

Try to get better pictures of the combs. Other wise I think they are pure marans.... unless the combs are not straight.

These two are my only blue copper Marans, I am hoping that they will produce some babies this year:3
That pullet is not cuckoo. Blue is a leaky gene so the blue will be uneven sometimes. If you are refering to the color in the hackels, that is not barring. Barring is black and white. You are just seeing the black and copper in the hackles. As @desertmarcy said the comb is really odd on the cockerel. Did he lose his point to frostbite or something? His comb does not look like a pea comb. Her comb is still small she is not laying yet (well when the pic was taken). Try to get better pictures of the combs. Other wise I think they are pure marans.... unless the combs are not straight.
I tend to agree

That pullet is not cuckoo.  Blue is a leaky gene so the blue will be uneven sometimes.  If you are refering to the color in the hackels, that is not barring.  Barring is black and white.  You are just seeing the black and copper in the hackles.  

As @desertmarcy
said the comb is really odd on the cockerel.  Did he lose his point to frostbite or something?  His comb does not look like a pea comb.  Her comb is still small she is not laying yet (well when the pic was taken). 

Try to get better pictures of the combs.  Other wise I think they are pure marans.... unless the combs are not straight. 

I am new to Marans, these two are almost to their second year but yes I will take a better photo of both Marans.

But yes his the end of his crown got frostbite.

I am pretty certain they are full blooded Marans, but are they actually blue copper as I thought?
I can see the comb on the hen better now. It is funky, but not a pea comb. They look blue copper to me. If you hatch chicks from them, you should get blue, black and splash. If you get anything else, you'll know there is a mix of something else in their background.

I am pretty certain they are full blooded Marans, but are they actually blue copper as I thought?
Some oddities here. In the previous photo, the cock/erel's wing looks almost entirely copper from that angle. Here it looks better and also shows his leakage on the chest. This color copper on a blue copper is VERY unusual (I've never seen it). His legs look white in this photo.

Thanks for all the well wishes everyone! It's been a couple days (sorry I'm a little slow!) But this little one made it into the world safe and sound
smile.png

to me, it looks like a pullet and "she'll" need a name. Any good suggestions?

Also, the breeder feels bad that only one egg hatched for me and said that she may send me some more eggs
smile.png
I've been lurking and keeping my fingers crossed for you. Yeah! What about Kellen as a name? Good for pullet or cockerel, Irish name which means warrior. Also, I've had only 1 hatch two different times and I've found that it is hard to keep them warm enough w/o hatch mates, even with heat lamp. I ended up buying a couple buff orpies from the feed store to keep company. Good luck.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom