Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

Looking good so far. One of 13 is mossy, but all others look nice. I need to get some updated pictures. They are almost fully feathered, and just starting to show a few copper feathers in the hackles

Yes you need to take pics! I would love to see them. I will take pics of my 2nd group as they feather to get some input. At least this new group is looking like they are going to have proper leg color.

I lost most of my chickens to predators so I went to an auction to buy some more. Did not realize it was for show chickens. But I accidentally would up with a trio of Black tailed buff marans. I was delighted with the eggs. Just wanted to share a picture of my girls and their eggs. Hope you enjoy them.

I lost most of my chickens to predators so I went to an auction to buy some more. Did not realize it was for show chickens. But I accidentally would up with a trio of Black tailed buff marans. I was delighted with the eggs. Just wanted to share a picture of my girls and their eggs. Hope you enjoy them.

Do you have a picture of the Male that you would post. The females look like Wheaten Marans.

I didn't get a male. Maybe that was why I was so lucky to get them lol. I can't say positively what they are but they were identified on my purchase sheet as black tailed buff marans. If the Internet images are accurate however they do look more like wheatens. Are the wheatens marans? They do lay the dark brown eggs

I didn't get a male. Maybe that was why I was so lucky to get them lol. I can't say positively what they are but they were identified on my purchase sheet as black tailed buff marans. If the Internet images are accurate however they do look more like wheatens. Are the wheatens marans? They do lay the dark brown eggs

Yes, The Wheatens are Marans and are recognized by the APA

Im kinda in the same boat as you guys..Not happy with most of my BC's from the last two years though I did have one pretty nice rooster and one nice hen from a separate hatch that Im breeding right now..if I can get some birds from them that are close to parentage Ill be satisfied that Ive got something to start with..Though we all know how that goes, we'll see..

This chick was in my batch of Cuckoo Marans. Does anyone recognize the breed? It doesn't look like any of the other chicks.

Could it be a golden cuckoo marans?

I have bred my golden cuckoo boy with my BCM and one out of the four hatched looked similar to this but slightly redder. The others were all dark speckled.

Back
Top Bottom