Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

39980_0528100503.jpg

Here is one of 3 FBCM that I hatched. I got two girls and one boy! The girls should start laying any day now :)

Hi to all Maran Moms,Dads,and fams.

Hoping any day to see a chocolaty egg in a nesting box! This Wisconsin HenMom has 2 Cuckoo Maran pullets, 5BlackCopperMaran pullets, 2 Rhody pullets and an adorable D'Uccles Mille Fleur banty I saved from the hatchet. Only meant to have 4 in my flock: when offered 3 freebies, and wanted to save little Izzy from a premature bad fate. So now any day now, we should have eggs from the Cuckoos who are obviously the eldest ladies. (Tried posting an image, but I see this has to be done between the HTML tags, so will try now) /Users/marciariquelme/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Modified/2010/new event 3 summer 2010/IMG_0483.JPG will have to see if this works, so am testing. Any tips on how to post images? Do I just use the final code: Img_0483.JPG between the Img tags?

anyway, first time with a flock since 1981! Got inspired by Michael Pollan and other backyarders in the Madison, Wisc area --- I live in a small town about 6 miles outside Madison where there are no laws against size of flock in backyard. My space can accomodate my chicks well, but in kindness to neighbors, no roosters yet. So excited to think we'll soon be gathering eggs! I've appreciated the tips posted and wonder where you find good and inexpensive egg cartons?

I'll post more Maran images when I see if this one works of my little banty Izzy.

Marcia
cool.png

welcome-byc.gif
marcia Renee Now we are waiting with you... Please post your first egg with us.
pop.gif

Quote:
First of all........where ya been? Haven't seen ya around in awhile. Good to see ya!
smile.png

Now about your birds....how are they doing today?
I have not heard that this is common to the breed, it's been my experience that they are very healthy and hardy birds. I do hope every one gets well. Please keep us updated.

Hi All!
I confess, I haven't read the whole thread - but was wondering..

I keep birds for utility and I keep hearing what a great birds for meat Marans are. Does anyone here keep them for that purpose? Breed towards that end? Where would be the best place to go to look for Marans for meat?
-In asking that - total kudos to all show breeders, but I can not pay $$$ for a dozen hatching eggs so I can have meat birds. I have nothing but respect for show breeders, and they earn that money, but my current economics won't let me pay 7x the cost of a cornishx chick for an egg, y'know?

But does anyone keep a flock (butt-ugly hatchery stock though they may be, lol) for a self-sustaining meat flock? How do you like them? Are they as tasty as rumor has it?

Quote:
Hi River! Welcome!

I do not personally raise them for that purpose but I'm sure there are some folks that do and I hope they come around to help answer your questions. I can tell you, that Marans meat tastes just like chicken
wink.png
, though in my opinion it is a more tender meat, but it could have been just the way it was prepared and cooked.
smile.png

I have cuckoos and they are big, dress out well and tasty. I got mine to raise for meat and eggs I have 2 roos in the finish pen now for roasters yummy as for just raising for meat? Like you said at the price..but I have a meat bird pen and I could use a Marans roo in there if I wanted. They have white skin plenty of room for stuffing they take longer to mature than a Delaware but mine are big beefy guys good textured too. So if you wanted to have a dark egg flock and hatch out chicks the spare roos are good eating....

Back
Top Bottom