Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

I am worried about my Black Copper marans. I went outside to visit my marans and noticed 2 of them (my main roo and one of my pullets) having a little bit of a rattle when they breathed. They are about 5 months old now, and both look just fine, bright eyes, good color and appetite, just a little rattle/wheeze. I immediately went to the medicine cabinet and broke out the Tylan 50 and Vetrx, and gave some to each one of them. Is there anything else I should do. I asked this on the marans thread because I wanted to hear from marans people in case this is something that is common to the breed.

here is a hen and 2 roo i think the birds pictured are 2 weeks or so
20346_mvc00045_2.jpg

Quote:

OK. What do i go by....What do i look for?
idunno.gif

Last edited:
Wow, my rooster must be pretty horrible looking. lol
tongue.png
8 pages later and not one comment. I was just trying to see if he was even worth breeding with my hens.

Anyone elses girls slowing down or stopped laying because of this heat? I think mine has gone on strike!

The chicks are born either white or yellow. More of an inbetween color. At about two weeks the darker feathers come through on the roosters and the hens start to show the wheat color that sets them apart as adults. Sorry I can't type more. Going out for the night. Be back tomorrow.
Quote:

Havi,

I'm new at this, but I will tell you what I see. The roo you are currently using is not a good example of the breed. Too much brown coloring, no leg feathers, squirrel tail. Your new roo, I would assume is much younger, looks mossy in the breast, and the hackles look to me in the pic to be straw colored. His tail set looks better than the other, and he does have leg feathering. Breeding him to your hens would depend on their coloring, he could help some very black hens with little or no copper, and the mossy coloring is supposed to be an indication of throwing dark egg color. I'm sure the more knowledgable will pop in here with their opinions.
smile.png

Quote:
The young male will look just like the other male tahat you say is your current male. I would not keep either one if you are trying to breed to the current proposed standard. I was waiting on someone else to give you the bad news.

Berkleysprings, thanks so much for the pictures and nice egg! I may contact you in the future, if you sell hatching eggs???

Edited to add DUH! It says right in your siggy line that you sell eggs. Maybe I should learn to read?
roll.png

Last edited:
Quote:

OK. What do i go by....What do i look for?
idunno.gif

Your wheatan ladies will have a buff type coloring to their wings.

Here's the thread from BYC...Hope it helps. I love our wheatan marans. Beautiful in coloring and body formation and great colored eggs. Congrats on having them....
And the thread:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=116649

Hope this is what you needed and have a blessed day! Nancy

Back
Top Bottom