Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

Donna~ That stinks! I'm sorry! You should try adding another light and see what happens. I had problems with my Sportsman not being able to keep up with the cool temps the last time I ran it about a month ago and it's in the house in my office, but we do keep the office and spare rooms closed so we don't have to heat them...even though we heat with wood. The woodstove drives us out of the house...when the woodstove is going and I am running a set of eggs in the 'bator, I must keep the office closed off or the 'bator while run TOO HOT and creates problems.

I'm nearly ready to start collecting eggs. The girls' clean out time ends in about 2 weeks. :)

I don't think it was low enough to cause a big problem, maybe a a couple of degrees at night. We have been leaving a heater on for a week now. I have another batch that should be going into lockdown today, but these have not hatched yet LOL. The others will be a little slow too
fl.gif
I may move them to the bottom of the incubator just in case if these are not out today.

Hi guys, just a shoutout...
Any Marans club members attending Northeast Poultry Congress in Mass this month...
I was just made aware that Skip Pate was just diagnosed with lung cancer, and any help you can give at the Marans table would be greatly appreciated.
Along with prayers to Skip.
hugs.gif

And Bev Davis will be there!

It's at the Big E In Springfield, Jan 19-20
Thanks in advance for any help you can give.
Marquisella is gonna be a busy gal, I will help as much as I can, along with pushing BYC!
Roberta

Hi guys, just a shoutout...
Any Marans club members attending Northeast Poultry Congress in Mass this month...
I was just made aware that Skip Pate was just diagnosed with lung cancer, and any help you can give at the Marans table would be greatly appreciated.
Along with prayers to Skip.
hugs.gif

And Bev Davis will be there!

It's at the Big E In Springfield, Jan 19-20
Thanks in advance for any help you can give.
Marquisella is gonna be a busy gal, I will help as much as I can, along with pushing BYC!
Roberta

I'll be going- not with any chickens- but to learn and drool
big_smile.png

Are you trying again tonight ? ? ?

I can't make it to Lake City or Newnan this year. Are you planning on going to either?
I saw it last night. It is a HUGE raccoon. Just monstrous!! I didn't get it in the trap and only saw it because the chickens in a nearby coop were making a lot of racket. I went out with a flashlight and saw him on top of the that coop. I hadn't set up the camera or anything last night grrr. Anyhow, at least I know what we are dealing with. I think its the same one that chased that hen on the patio earlier this spring. If so, I won't get him in a trap he is way too smart.

Probably not going to Lake City..might go to Newnan but it will depend on our schedules etc. I hope someone goes and gets lots of pics though! My dd might be up that way around that time maybe I can talk her into going and getting pics LOL.

H E L L O, IS there Life out there?

24 hours without a post on this thread is equilvalent to the end of the world....
hide.gif

Let me get the ball rolling with....Tomorrow is day 21 for me.... Babies, Oh Babies, Where for art thou ? ?

I betcha everyone is busy with their own New Years Day hatch
wink.png
Any babies yet?? What kind of babies?

We are making plans to head out for the Bluebonnet Classic Poultry Show in College Station, Texas tomorrow afternoon. We should get there early tomorrow evening. The unloading and cooping in usually gets a little confusing, but life gets better once it is done.

The show will be on Saturday. If anyone is planning on being there, please look us up. We would love to meet any of you and visit face to face. We only show Marans, but we will be showing six or seven varieties of them there.

We hope that the weather is nice, and pray that everyone has a great show and safe travel.

Regards,
Ernie Haire
Arp, Texas
www.Marans2XL.com
Could you take lots of photos to share with those who couldn't go..pretty please?? Have a fun safe trip. Good luck!~

Mine were supposed to hatch yesterday, I had pips but that was it. My bator has not been able to keep up temps since it got cold. I am going to add another light or something. This is one reason I wanted to MOVE my bator, but it would not fit through any of the other doors
he.gif
It has been our experience that if they pip and stop, they were fully developed. Most of the time around here it means that the humidity was too high and the eggs did not evaporate enough. Marans eggs are very thick and this causese problems with the evaporation process. The chicks actually drown before they get hatched. I would suggest that you check the humidity inside your incubator.

Sorry,
Ernie Haire
Arp, Texas
www.Marans2XL.com

I saw it last night. It is a HUGE raccoon. Just monstrous!! I didn't get it in the trap and only saw it because the chickens in a nearby coop were making a lot of racket. I went out with a flashlight and saw him on top of the that coop. I hadn't set up the camera or anything last night grrr. Anyhow, at least I know what we are dealing with. I think its the same one that chased that hen on the patio earlier this spring. If so, I won't get him in a trap he is way too smart.

Probably not going to Lake City..might go to Newnan but it will depend on our schedules etc. I hope someone goes and gets lots of pics though! My dd might be up that way around that time maybe I can talk her into going and getting pics LOL.
Get him girl.... Don't let that boy head my way....

Do you think you could leave some posion out on top of the coops at night, since that is his point of attack? ? ?

Back
Top Bottom