Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

Quote:
You know this how??????? Been feeding gators??????
lau.gif

You know this how??????? Been feeding gators????
LOL, I've seen people bait them with marshmallows during hunting season when we lived in Lousiana. Most people use chicken but some use other stuff.
One time my son and his friend were canoeing on a bayou and they had Marshmallows and were throwing them in the water. Pretty soon they had a large gator following them eating up the marshmallows. They were with this kids parents so I didn't find out about it till later. Freaked me out lol.

celebrate.gif
I do believe one of my washingstons (aka pink's chicks) are laying now! We had an extra marans egg in the coop yesterday. Going to do the chicken shuffle to see which little one it is! Not a bad color either- darker then the others just slightly and the same size- meaning her first eggs were not noticeable (ie not small little tiny pullet eggs...) My husband had to point it out to me lol

Mary, have to agree I looked at the adult BC Marans on the site and they look real good to me. You should have some good young BC Marans from your chicks.
I am sure hoping at least some of these guys grow out to be really good. figure I only need a few really good ones to get started. Of course they are still babies, not even all feathered out yet, so it will be May or June before I really know what I have. In the meantime I am just hanging out here and learning everything I can!

Keara, I have done some research in the old Poultry books and most say that the Spots are genetic. The end result might be that one line might have more of a problem than another. With the small amount of females I still have will try and do a small test with them and mark the eggs and she what the result will be.
Since I have always been more interested in developing a show bird more than the really dark eggs. As of now have not done anything to confirm if the books are right.
All info is appreciated though.

Is there any way to tell if there are blood spots without cracking the eggs open? I sell eating eggs and most of my Black Copper Marans eggs are sold and I don't know what they look like inside since I don't eat that many myself, but I did have one customer tell me only the dark eggs had blood spots.

Is there any way to tell if there are blood spots without cracking the eggs open? I sell eating eggs and most of my Black Copper Marans eggs are sold and I don't know what they look like inside since I don't eat that many myself, but I did have one customer tell me only the dark eggs had blood spots.
Marcy, I do not have the answer to this but you would think that some of the high Lumens lights might pick up the Blood spot.

When I start the test I just plan on cracking about six eggs and mark it all down in a book. Will look up the aeticle from Morley Jull and if it isn't to large will post it here.

Blood and Meat Spots. I have found some good info in the book Poultry Science and Practice by WINTER and FUNK

Blood Spots and Meats spots may be found in some eggs.They result from the hemorrhage of a small blood vessel located in the small blood vessel in the ovary or oviduct. A blood spot on the Yolk indicates a hemorrhage in the follicle at the time of ovulation.The focille probably did not rupture along the stigma where they are normally no blood vessels. If the spot is in the white of the egg, it indicates a hemorrhage in the wall of the oviduct. Bloody eggs are probably the result of more severe hemorrhage.Th reproductive system of the female is easily ruptured when in production. FRIGHT,HIGH PERCHES and NESTS, and a deficiency of vitamin K may result in an abnormal number of Blood spots.

Hope this might help.

Blood and Meat Spots. I have found some good info in the book Poultry Science and Practice by WINTER and FUNK

Blood Spots and Meats spots may be found in some eggs.They result from the hemorrhage of a small blood vessel located in the small blood vessel in the ovary or oviduct. A blood spot on the Yolk indicates a hemorrhage in the follicle at the time of ovulation.The focille probably did not rupture along the stigma where they are normally no blood vessels. If the spot is in the white of the egg, it indicates a hemorrhage in the wall of the oviduct. Bloody eggs are probably the result of more severe hemorrhage.Th reproductive system of the female is easily ruptured when in production. FRIGHT,HIGH PERCHES and NESTS, and a deficiency of vitamin K may result in an abnormal number of Blood spots.

Hope this might help.
In the book Practical Poultry Management by Rice and Botsford found this. Vitamin K symptoms of absence Subcutaneous and internal hemorrhages. Sources Alfalfa Meal, green feeds, animal by-products

In the book Practical Poultry Management by Rice and Botsford found this. Vitamin K symptoms of absence Subcutaneous and internal hemorrhages. Sources Alfalfa Meal, green feeds, animal by-products

perhaps the new rage for vegetarian chicken feeds is contributing to the problem? Also if it's worse in winter, when bugs and green forage are scarce, would certainly explain the problem. Some report it's worse when they have lights on. Perhaps because the lights are inducing the birds to lay even tho they are lacking in certain vital nutrients? Certainly something to think about.

Marcy, I do not have the answer to this but you would think that some of the high Lumens lights might pick up the Blood spot.

When I start the test I just plan on cracking about six eggs and mark it all down in a book. Will look up the aeticle from Morley Jull and if it isn't to large will post it here.
I just watched a TV show on this... In the hatcheries, they use lights to check for blood / meat spots in the leghorn eggs. Of course, you will need an even BRIGHTER / Stronger light to look through the marans eggs .. .

Back
Top Bottom