Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

Ok I will say that some of the problems I have seen in the Blue Copper males are very mahogany wing and light hackles. Kinda the same thing as in the BCM males but is more pronounced in the Blue Coppers. The hackles can get really light almost yellow with the blues it seems. So copper balance is something that needs to be worked on. Also some Blue Copper males seem to get color in the hackles and not as much as the saddles. Poor boys...they are always more picked apart than the girls no matter what breed LOL!

another request for opinions... there are some golden cuckoo pictures on ebay right now that caught my eye... I can't add any new birds right now so I am not going to bid on the eggs but I was admiring these particular birds and thinking if I were looking to add more right now I would grab these... anybody want to give a quick critique and let me know what they like and don't like about these? again, I am just trying to develop an eye... not make fun of anybody's birds... I think they are gorgeous... looks like the girls do not have much feathering on the feet... mine don't either. s but don't know how true to type they are.
I dont know if you got any answers we were just talking about those birds on the cuckoo thread. They are not pure marans. They all have yellow legs and the color is way off too. Please dont buy them.

Well I have got to quit looking at these Marans sites! Does anyone in the US have Columbian Marans? Very striking!!

Yep.......looking at those websites just invites temptation and yes those Columbian Marans are something aren't they?

I've been thinking (yes..it hurt a little, LOL) and think my new goal is to have 4 varieties of Marans...all blue of course. ;)

Blue Coppers, Blue Birchen, Blue Wheatens (Wheatens will only be added when I can find the ones I want) and Solid Blue and Splash.

Yep.......looking at those websites just invites temptation and yes those Columbian Marans are something aren't they?

I've been thinking (yes..it hurt a little, LOL) and think my new goal is to have 4 varieties of Marans...all blue of course.
wink.png

Blue Coppers, Blue Birchen, Blue Wheatens (Wheatens will only be added when I can find the ones I want) and Solid Blue and Splash.

thumbsup.gif

I do know there are a couple (longtime Marans breeders) working on the Columbian color. It's a difficult pattern to work on; I suspect it'll be another couple of years before we see them out there. (Nice type ones with good egg color.)

Just got home from work and went out to check on the birds freeranging. Here's that young blue copper pullet I posted photos a couple of months back. She has certainly filled out and gotten a nice body type. The pic is not super as they like to hide out in the brush I leave standing for them in the perennial beds so they can hide from the hawks, but she sure is a beauty. When I see her dashing across the lawn I always have to do a double take, and wonder...how did Luella get out of her pen? Her eyes are a nice color, still lightening up more as she is about 4 1/2 months now I think....maybe 5 months at the oldest.

Just got home from work and went out to check on the birds freeranging. Here's that young blue copper pullet I posted photos a couple of months back. She has certainly filled out and gotten a nice body type. The pic is not super as they like to hide out in the brush I leave standing for them in the perennial beds so they can hide from the hawks, but she sure is a beauty. When I see her dashing across the lawn I always have to do a double take, and wonder...how did Luella get out of her pen? Her eyes are a nice color, still lightening up more as she is about 4 1/2 months now I think....maybe 5 months at the oldest.
She seriously needs to come to Washington for a little vacation! :love

haha....are you calling a kidnapping a 'vacation?' haha :gig
If all goes well this spring, I should have a whole bunch of these girls running around. This is a blue copper focus year for me. 

Yep that's what I'm callin' it! Vacation! She is beautiful Vicki! You done GOOD girl!

I can't wait to see her babies...................maybe some day one of her babies will come hook up with my Lil' Bill.

Back
Top Bottom