Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

He's not perfect, but he is all I have left after culling and hot Summer claimed some of them. Hope to have some more this Summer. :D

He's a good boy. I have him covering my EEs until I can get some BCM ladies for him. And hopefully another male. Since this is my backyard flock, breeding will be slowwwwww for SOP. But we enjoy him- he is a pet favorite among my children.
I agree try to get some photos from other angles. I know this can be hard.
I went out and tried to get some pics of two of my older solid black females today and with me being sick coughing (and all the roos start making the alert noise every time I cough grr) and they kept trying to lay down and take dirt baths....forget about it LOL!

Very pretty girl Vickie. I like her coppering.

Its been a LONG time since I wrote/visited so thought I'd stop by and drool over everyone's Marans results! My darned camera went on the fritz and had to send out for repair, seems no one at camera shops can fix a camera anymore with everything being digital. sigh.

But here are some pics of some of our kids from a couple of months back, approx. age 6-8 months, and last 3 pics are about 4-6 months of age. I thank Vicki/Gilavina for her patience and endless source of great information!! I haven't been able to separate the birds out into their breeding pens because its just been way too cold here (in the low 20s/barley low 30s) and they currently all roost in one big coop. As soon as weather becomes normal, I will be able to separate these guys out.

Hope everyone has a great 2013!

Its been a LONG time since I wrote/visited so thought I'd stop by and drool over everyone's Marans results! My darned camera went on the fritz and had to send out for repair, seems no one at camera shops can fix a camera anymore with everything being digital. sigh. But here are some pics of some of our kids from a couple of months back, approx. age 6-8 months, and last 3 pics are about 4-6 months of age. I thank Vicki/Gilavina for her patience and endless source of great information!! I haven't been able to separate the birds out into their breeding pens because its just been way too cold here (in the low 20s/barley low 30s) and they currently all roost in one big coop. As soon as weather becomes normal, I will be able to separate these guys out. Hope everyone has a great 2013!
Hey how are you lady? Great to hear from you! Those hens have some nice copper in the hackle and I love the hackle and saddle color on the Black Copper cockerel photo'd last!

Hey Kristina! Great to see you back on the thread again. Its waaay cold here as well. I've put moving the birds into breeding pens on hold as well so they won't have added stress to try and deal with along with the cold. Its ridiculous with the wind added in.

Are the goals for blue copper equal to that of the black copper, just that the blue replaces the black? This is my first year with blue copper. These pics show roosters with less copper than I expected to see, should that be my goal?

Are the goals for blue copper equal to that of the black copper, just that the blue replaces the black? This is my first year with blue copper. These pics show roosters with less copper than I expected to see, should that be my goal?
No they should have more copper and I believe there will be more when they finish growing. My comment was mainly about the Marans type and overall good breed looks. There definitely should be more Copper but they are really nice to start out working with.

Yes, you are correct by saying all the same except for changing the Blue and Black. Feel free to post some pictures on the new Black Copper marans thread.

Last edited:
No they should have more copper and I believe there will be more when they finish growing. My comment was mainly about the Marans type and overall good breed looks. There definitely should be more Copper but they are really nice to start out working with.
good to hear I haven't been steering Kristina wrong
wink.png

Did you see my update shot of that young blue copper pullet I posted a bit ago?

They are very nice, it's hard to achieve the perfect Marans. All the blue copper males I have seen at shows had a fair amount more copper. Do I want a rooster with none to little copper on the breast. And, if care to answer , at what age would you consider the color to be true, mine are only 4 months old and they have a long way to go but I don't want to sit on one that just won't make it.

Back
Top Bottom